SHOP PRODUCTS
Houzz Logo Print
shastensis

BEWARE! Juniperus virginiana, taking over Kansas!

shastensis
13 years ago

My title of this post is somewhat facetious. I was surprised to find this pamphlet online:

http://docs.google.com/viewer?a=v&q=cache:IUlfdW_9MtUJ:www.kansasforests.org/pubs/kscanopy/2006summer.pdf+%22cupressus+bakeri%22+%22reno%22&hl=en&gl=us&pid=bl&srcid=ADGEESjRfc4aZnu3B-wcZzVayfNPleNG3e9wHL-AAGSzJC-ZX93m77YdU2N_y0DOEdQO-WsHcYhiGTSWOevYC6swkdpk_JeYArMfe0Sc47GRZQYDwIZidk7szD4h3XoaQTgXr6waGbQq&sig=AHIEtbSKEfXB_pnP6eh-9F6St3dE41xfOg&pli=1

which states that apparently there is great concern over Juniperus virginiana "taking over" Kansas Prairie Land. I guess my post is directed towards people with a scientific backing on this list, who may be able to offer their two cents on the idea of what is essentially a native tree, that evolved here over millions of years, somehow being seen as "taking over" it's home environment.

If it such an aggressive tree, why did it not effectively "take over" before Europeans arrived? My question is not rhetorical, I am being serious. What might have kept this species in check before most of the Kansas prairie was converted to farmland, and what is giving it the competitive advantage now, at this point in time (more introduced, non-native bird species which feed on the berries (cones))?

Also, how many different subspecies of Juniperus virginiana are there?

Anybody from Kansas or the plains states want to chirp in on this?

Comments (25)