SHOP PRODUCTS
Houzz Logo Print
girlgroupgirl

Atlanta is 90 degrees today...

girlgroupgirl
13 years ago

Warm and sunny, then cold and rainy..typical psycho spring. I just hope it stays for awhile, I love a long lengthly spring. Besides warm and sultry nights it's what the South is all about!

This week I took a few photos of the garden.

This is the obligatory front corner photo. It has changed so much over the years...and is now home to a nice Reeves Spirea given to me by a friend (who also gave me many shrub roses) in the neighborhood who has since passed away. I need to go to his place and save some more things, I can just never find the executor of his estate in.

{{gwi:620951}}

When we moved in, there was a walking smack against the front screen porch. Nothing could be planted next to the house, and it was very boring looking. There was no way one could integrate the house and garden (OK, I admit I am still struggling in this area). We faced the stairs with some flat stone, then stacked stone and filled the walkway with some old concrete rubble (but we left the walkway there, and built out a bit to mimic more of the steps area...and eventually that all disappeared! Now I grow shallow rooted plants here, and this little Santa Barbara daisy is my favorite. I'd love to have it in every nook of the garden but so far it's not taken to other places. It really loves the stones and any crannies it can find.

{{gwi:620954}}

The mailbox needed some new spring fashion, and I heard polka dots were all the rage...this is the first time the bottom has been anything but white! Do you see behind the mailbox? I had a most lovely Dianna Rose Of Sharon that I loved. It suddenly just up and died one day, and I can not for the life of me get her tree stake out!! This year the City workers kept poking around in that garden for some reason while fixing my neighbors plumbing (they had no reason to poke or go in there) and have really made a mess. They removed 3/4 of the plants and the good soil and HAULED IT OFF! Clearly it was going to someone's home garden. I was livid. Since that time I've raised a fuss but there is no way anything will be done. Hopefully they will make a city workers garden prettier and his family happier.

{{gwi:620958}}

My friend who passed away told me this is Russels Cottage Rose. Clearly it is not. I have no idea what on earth it is, but it is an antique rose shrub without scent but with beautiful flowers all summer. I adore it! {{gwi:620961}}

This little fellow is one of the Easy roses...I have Easy Living and Living Easy both from a GW friend who used to come to our plant trades here. For some reason they grow only a foot tall for me, and bloom just a few times a year. Odd, isn't it. Someday this one will once again need a new home (I thought it would reach it's full 4' here, someday....).

{{gwi:620964}}

This year I fertilized the irises. They are very thankful!

{{gwi:620967}}

Anyone else in their right mind would be SICK to death of chard right now. We've eaten it 1-2 meals a day for at least 3 months straight. Looks like we have another few weeks before freezing the rest. {{gwi:620970}}

Strawberries work well when fertilized at the same time as roses and irises! Who knew? There are TONS and tons of berries forming! {{gwi:620973}}

Here's the main garden. Spring is it's peak, with the lime green of the maple and the dark red buds of the Smoke Bush, this is one of my biggest design successes! We see this right from the porch. Currently everything is perfect from the porch: the balance of colors and the balance of shapes. I wish it could stay like this...but it's the garden!

{{gwi:620977}}

Comments (14)

Sponsored
Bella Casa LLC
Average rating: 5 out of 5 stars17 Reviews
The Leading Interior Design Studio in Franklin County