SHOP PRODUCTS
Houzz Logo Print
ohiojen

Potted Citrus Question

ohiojen
12 years ago

Hello! This is my very first post, but I have been a long-time lurker, and you all have convinced me to try growing things I never would have attempted before, so thanks!

Now that I have taken the plunge and ordered several citrus trees, I figured I have to join so I can ask my questions. I am a moderately experienced gardener with veggies and things in OH, but I am by no mean an expert, and have no experience at all with citrus.

Last spring I ordered some 2-3 year old trees from Four Winds that were beautiful. Due to a mix-up in my order, I got some extra trees, so now I have five, all in pots: a bearss lime, a trovita orange, a Washington navel, an oroblanco grapefruit, and a meyer lemon.

I re-potted them all in about a five gallon pot with a mix of organic potting soil (not the kind with wetting agents, just dirt, basically), citrus mix, and some mulch, and it drained really well. They all sat outside in full sun for the summer and were very happy. All except the lime grew significantly, and the lime has five fruits, so I am assuming the lack of growth is because of the fruit - it looks perfectly happy.

We moved them all inside a few weeks ago, into our office which is pretty much all windows, some south, and mostly east. The humidity in our house is kept pretty high since I'm a musician and it affects my instruments. The temp. stays around 70ish.

Several of them are dropping a lot of leaves now, and the leaves are turning mottled yellow before falling off. My meyer lemon and washington navel have lost the most. I am not worried about any of them yet - they still look good overall, but I wanted to ask. I do not think I am overwatering. Is this normal when people move these trees indoors? Is there anything I can do about it?

Also, my trovita has some white mold growing on top of the dirt now which I would think is because it's too wet. Do I need to worry about this, and if so, what do I do to take care of that? It was very rainy for a couple weeks before we brought them in, but I'm surprised to see this now - I didn't water for a week after they came in, and I didn't notice it when they were outside.

Thanks for any help you can give me! I really love these trees - they just make me happy to look at them, and I want to do the best I can with them.

Comments (16)

Sponsored
Davidson Builders
Average rating: 5 out of 5 stars1 Review
Franklin County's Full-Scale General Contractor