SHOP PRODUCTS
Houzz Logo Print
gldno1

Grape Jelly and Birds

14 years ago

I put this out on the porch for the Baltimore Orioles....I knew the House Finches would eat it, but was surprised to see the Cardinals! DH had let his feeder run on empty for a few days. I guess they were getting desperate.
{{gwi:620666}}

The male was hesitant at first but finally DH saw him eating.

The House Finch enjoying a breakfast treat:

{{gwi:620667}}From Birds

and last, the one it was put out for:

{{gwi:620668}}From Gardening 2010

The birds play a big part in my overall garden plans, I love the bees, birds and butterflies and we try to do things that will entice them to the yard.

You can click on the pictures to enlarge them.

glenda
Follow-Up Postings:

RE: Grape Jelly and Birds

Oh, the cardinals love tiny globs of cranberries too. I use dry cranberries cut up fine so it doesn't get stuck and choke them. This is just a special treat when "needed". I've not tried jelly on a plate before. I'll do that this weekend, when the inlaws come so they can get a good look at the birds playing in the yard. The bird houses have finally filled up (and now that my neighbors grandson who is a total idiot and would knock my bird houses over) has moved, I can put more back up again.

I have never seen this before! I must try it. What great photos, thanks for sharing.

That's just too cute.

We are that way with birds too. Lovely and really cute pics of them eating jelly. I will show DH tonight. He will get a real charge out of it.
The Baltimore Oriole is just gorgeous. I haven't seen them in years.
I buy birdseed with dehydrated cherries in the mix. It is a good all-around mix for many species. I know the Cardinals rob my cherry trees every year. I am lucky if I have enough to make a few pints of preserves. The Blue Jays do too and they peck our peaches and apples. I just cut out the pecks and eat them anyway. I haven't seen the Cardinals go after anything except the cherries.

Anyway, I love your wonderful anecdotal stories and photos.

~Annie

Annie, I have a sour cherry tree and the only bird that seems to like it is the mocking birds. There are plenty to share. I just pick what I can from standing and using a ladder (with DH holding it steady for me!) and when I get all I want. They can have the rest.

I will have a few blueberries this year...those I will cover with my old greenhouse shade cloth....they are precious as gold! and I will not share.

• Posted by: memo Zone 4B Nebraska (My Page) on Fri, Apr 30, 10 at 23:17

That is really something. I had no idea birds would eat jelly. What great pictures you got!

MeMo

Glenda, it looks like you were right on top of them taking those photos! Spectacular!! We tried grape jelly on so many occasions but alas, no birds ever stopped by to feast on it. I may have to try it again after seeing your photos.

I was sitting at the computer inside the dining room maybe 6 feet tops from the little patio table. I removed the wire screens from the two large windows just so I could watch and photograph the birds.

Wow, this is fabulous. I have to try this. I always have the birds walking on my deck rail waiting their turn to get to one of the many feeders I have hanging in my yard. We get so many birds that they run out of room. I can't wait to see the results. Thanks for a great idea.

Carol

No one wants my jelly. The first plate got melted by rain, the second is still out there with maple seed "helicopters" poking up in it. I think I need to move it off the porch rail and closer to the other bird feeder near the trees.

Wonderful pictures. I have to try the grape jelly in a plate and see if I get any customers. We have Orioles here all the time.

Post a Follow-Up
Your Name:

Your Email Address:

Zone (optional):

Subject of Posting:

Optional Link URL:

Name of the Link: Return to the Cottage Garden Forum

Comments (11)

Sponsored
Franklin County's Top Choice for Reliable Outdoor Construction