SHOP PRODUCTS
Houzz Logo Print
wje630

Rain Rain Go Away!

wje630
15 years ago

I guess I shouldn't complain about the rain....but most of my 30+ dahlias are getting too big and leggy for their pots. Most of the pots are 4-5" and that doesn't leave much room for a stake. Especially since I used the newspaper method of potting them up.

Today I am actually thankful that I haven't been able to get them planted outside. I did get the bed ready, tilled, raked and etc. I had hoped today to finally get them planted, but Mother Nature had different plans. This morning we had a severe thunderstorm with large hail and strong winds. If I had managed to get them planted yesterday as planned, they would be ruined today. So, even though I am impatient to get them in the ground, I guess I will have to wait AGAIN....hopefully it won't be another week of rain.

Does anyone have any suggestions for other Dahlia growers here in the Midwest where we are being hammered with storms and rain? I had thought of just cutting them all back to about a foot, but am afraid of killing them. I have pinched them all back but they are still too tall and leggy.

Any help would be greatly appreciated. This is my third year growing dahlias but I am beginning to think that Kansas is not a good place for them.

I envy all of you dahlia lovers who live in the northwest, it seems you have the ideal climate to raising them. Mine have never looked like the ones some of you post on the forum so I guess it's either the location or could it be the gardner? Live and learn I guess, if I can't make them grow and produce blooms this year, I will probably give up. I said last summer I wasn't going to try again this year, but when November came, I just couldn't stand leaving them in the ground to die, so once again I dug them and stored them. Maybe the third time is the charm? I am optimistic...only time will tell(if I ever get them planted, that is).

Comments (13)