SHOP PRODUCTS
Houzz Logo Print
j0nd03

Metasequoia glyptostroboides 'Ogon' coloring question

j0nd03
11 years ago

Both my Ogon and species dawn redwood grew a mere 4-6" last year, nowhere near the reported growth here and other places!!! They were both mulched and watered regularly. The Ogon is smack dab in a drainage area where I thought it would flourish. Droughty and warm spring/summer, though. Hopefully they will do better this year.

I had my Ogon protected by shadecloth on both the east and west sides and it never developed any gold/yellow. The leader was in full sun but also stayed green. It did have a very pretty light green color. I have removed the shadecloth and it will get full sun this year. It was a 3' tall tree in a 3 or 5 gallon container with very workable roots longer than the tree was tall.

Both the species and Ogon are both leafed out now and look nearly identical to each other, again.

Does anyone have an opinion as to whether it (Ogon) will color better this year?

I was questioning whether I got the real deal by the end of summer, myself. I bought from a reputable seller located in Great Lakes region and paid a premium to get it.

John

PS - I was going to include a pic of the foliage from last summer but it must have been so lackluster, I didn't take any!.. well, at least I can't find any...

I can take a pic of the current growth if anyone wants it

Edit: both trees were planted, dormant, late fall/early winter of 2011*

This post was edited by j0nd03 on Tue, Apr 30, 13 at 11:49

Comments (14)

Sponsored
EK Interior Design
Average rating: 5 out of 5 stars5 Reviews
TIMELESS INTERIOR DESIGN FOR ENDLESS MEMORIES