SHOP PRODUCTS
Houzz Logo Print
chanie42

Can't Get Healthy Tree

chanie42
15 years ago

So about 3 years ago my husband bought me an mini orange tree. It did ok the first year we had it - I got it in the spring and left it outside that summer (mostly letting the rain water it). It had lots of leaves and some blossoms.

The trouble started when I brought it inside for the winter - it gets cold in Maryland and not much winter sun. I got a grow light for it and put it in my living room. Since then, it has lost all its leaves - but it still produces new leaves (just a few, maybe 4 or 5 at a time). The new leaves start green and once they get to medium size, they develop yellow spots, eventually turning completely yellow, then brown and falling off. New leaves keep growing though, so I don't think the plant is dying. I did not take it outside this past summer.

It is in a white 2 part plastic pot for draining(I tried repotting it with soil for citrus plants to see if that would help). I usually water it once a week, but I just got an Aqua Globe (it is supposed to deliver water when the soil dries) to try and keep the watering even. The grow light is a couple feet above it. No signs of bugs (no holes in the leaves or sticky stuff). I haven't fed it or fertilized it - not sure what to use. I am thinking about repotting it again to start over with new soil and check for root rot. Also, when I water it, a little bit of water seeps out the bottom of the pot into the dish it sits in. The temperature in the house is around 70-75 in the winter and 78 in the summer. The air could be considered a little dry.

This tree was an anniversary present, so I would really like to keep it alive! I would also appreciate suggestions on how to replace it, if necessary.

Comment (1)