SHOP PRODUCTS
Houzz Logo Print
iris2sun

statice - deep blue or blue-purple recommended varieties

iris2sun
15 years ago

Hi,

This past growing season was my first experience in making and selling bouquets. Since I am a backyard grower with limited space and resources, and I love placing blue flowers in my bouquets, I thought I would be smart in ordering a deep-blue statice since statice lasts for a long time and it is still beautiful as a dried flower. I didn't plant other blue flowers. So you can imagine my disappointment when my bed of "deep-blue" statice finally started blooming and they turned out to be what I would describe as a "muddy-pink" rather than a deep blue.

I don't want to repeat this mistake for 2009. Can you recommend a statice (limonium sinuatum) that is reliably deep blue or blue-purple?

In looking at the GeoSeed catalog, there are 14 different statice types available (they don't list the seed type that I grew last year). Many descriptions include terminology such as "fine quality cutflower", "classic cutflower", "top professional quality", "special cutflower production", "premier cut flower". It's reassuring to read such superlatives, but it does make the choice of a variety perplexing.

So, I'm turning to forum members with experience growing statice to help me select a variety that produces deep blue or purple blue flowers that work well in bouquets.

Thank you again for helping a "newbie"

Comments (6)

Sponsored