SHOP PRODUCTS
Houzz Logo Print
melmel1982_gw

My large jade plant has a bit of rot...any ideas?

11 years ago

I posted a little over a year ago when I had a problem with the plant (too much water and terrible soil) and you all were very generous with you comments and help (especially Josh) and I repotted the plant in a 1:1 mix of turface, bark, perlite, and a small marble rock. It did much better and put on lots of new growth.

I started a new job in August of this year and I neglected my watering duties a bit. This plant and my other jade (I believe it is a hobbit) both began dropping leaves and a few smaller branches and both were drooping. I jumped right back into a more regular watering schedule and the hobbit is doing well. I thought the jade was okay until I was inspecting it this morning and found a soft spot, which turned into a large rotten spot.

I trimmed off the rot to see how far it had progressed, but I wasn't sure how to proceed from here. Should I remove the whole section and the branches above where the rot was located? Or is it okay as is?

The first photo is the area where the rot was located.

The second photo is the rotten section that I cut away.

Photo 3 is the rotten area again, this photo just seemed a little more clear.

Photo 4 is the base of the plant and the section where the rot is, is at the top of the photo.

Photo 5 is a larger view of the plant.

Photo 6 is shot of the mix.

Photo 7 is a photo of my other jade that seems to be doing well. (hobbit I think)

Comments (20)