SHOP PRODUCTS
Houzz Logo Print
alys_esmond

Minneola Flowering Now? Normal? Weird?

We moved into our home in Orlando at the end of June. There is a lovely, mature, Ruby Red grapefruit tree that must have been planted back in the mid-80s when the house was first built. Since then we've added a "fruit cocktail" tree (meyer lemon on one side and minneola tangelo on the other) in July and a minneola tangelo a couple of weeks ago.

The half-meyer is putting out new growth everywhere and the half-minneola is flowering like mad! I guess the tree is 2-3 years old. It put out one flower about a month after it was planted and that single flower has resulted in a fruit. Then about a month ago another single flower and a fruit. Now it is flowering again; I stepped out this evening and the yard is redolent with the fragrance from the 10-15 blooms it has right now.

Sooooo..... is this weird? Will the fruit make it over winter? It's planted in the ground and it has been unusually hot and dry. Since we planted it we've watered it every day it hasn't rained. Should I be cutting back on water?

Comment (1)