SHOP PRODUCTS
Houzz Logo Print
misseffie

Marketing your business

Miss EFF
17 years ago

Rita asked a couple of questions about marketing so I thought a thread about what we do to increase our public presence would be good.

I'm different than most of you as I own a U-pick flower farm and do not sell at markets. The good thing is that I don't have a great deal of time in harvesting, conditioning, making bouquets, transporting and selling. The bad thing is that I wait for customers to show up.

This year -- I have been incredibly blessed with excellent pr. We start in May with an article in 3 local papers. In June, the Iowa Farmer Today magazine featured us. In July, a local lifestyle/gardening magazine used the May article for "Grower of the Month". And in August, a local tv station is featuring us as a "Daytrippin'" spot.

After each and every article, I have written thank you notes plus forwarded the articles to other media outlets with a press release about the article. I am not media-savvy .... but now, the thank you notes are being published. So I'm actually getting a two-fer-one.

We did produce a tv commercial and aired it on 3 local stations until my money ran out ......very quickly!! But the ad is in the "can" for next year and we will run it again. If you want to see it -- email me and I'll send it to you.

I tell everyone to tell their friends. And when someone comes out --- and "so-and-so sent me" --- so-and-so gets a thank you.

I try to keep a very thorough mailing list and send cards when I open for the season. Cathy DeValk does the same. That would work at the farmer's market -- with just an open spiral notebook.

Local organizations like -- Buy Fresh/Buy Local are great to use. Media outlets like to feature local producers and by having a "group" --- they have more sources to draw upon.

What does everyone else do to market their flowers?

Cathy

Comments (4)

Sponsored
Peabody Landscape Group
Average rating: 3.5 out of 5 stars8 Reviews
Franklin County's Reliable Landscape Design & Contracting