SHOP PRODUCTS
Houzz Logo Print
breton2

Busted Aloe polyphylla

breton2
12 years ago

Hello fellow succulentophiles,

This past summer I bought a small freestanding plastic greenhouse. I bought it mainly for the shelving, I kept the plastc cover off it until late September, when the heavy rains started here in my very humid coastal climate. It worked wonderfully, I was able to leave my plants out almost a month longer than usual, wihtough worrying about them sitting in wet soil. The greenhouse was weighted down in a very shleted location on my patio against my house, close to a seocn wall which broke the predominatn winds. It had withstood a lot of wind in this loaction already, but two days before I had planned to empty it, Mother Nature did it for me. I came home to find the whole thing turned 180 degrees and laying on its back. Broken clay pots and bits of plants everywhere......gah. I was not happy. Next year I will go a bit overboard securing this thing to the patio..

Anyway, I have managed to save most of my suxx (mostly Crassulaceae species, Agaves, Aloes, Haworthias, Gasterias, Senecios, and various mesembs), though they will not be pretty for a while. I also have lots of cuttings to start... (Fortunately all of the Lithops and Conophytums were indoors already...

One that I am most worried about, however, is my Aloe polyphylla. I bought 2 seedlings last spring, and have managed to freeze one already. The second was potted up in a fir bark/ turface/ grit mix recommended by Alan BEverly (A. polyphylla nursery guy in US), and was outside all summer, with its pot sunk into a patch of dampish flowerbed to keep its roots cool. I noticed this summer that the roots seemed to have rotted off and the plant rerooted itself with no help from me. It's also rather etiolated... I can't seem to provide the optimal conditions this plant wants, but I am not about to give up on it. Now, however, it is broken into three pieces, the root section, with a few leaves attached, the middle section, and the top section. All seem to have callused nicely, but I am unsure how to root them now. I am tempted to set the upper two pieces into pure turface and see if that does it. The bottom rooted section I am not sure what to do with... Anyone with experience with this species have any advice for me?

Anyway , sorry this became such a long email, but any input would be appreciated.

Cheers,

Breton

Comments (15)