SHOP PRODUCTS
Houzz Logo Print
herblady49

A beautiful shrub and an excellent cut flower

HerbLady49
14 years ago

{{gwi:624913}}
{{gwi:624923}}
I purchased my plant about 15 years ago on a trip to New Hampshire. It's a hardy grower from zone 2 - 7, and will grow 6-8 feet tall. I prune the plant to the ground in February, and by late spring it will be 5 feet tall. The main flush of flowers is from late June thru July in my zone 6, when the shrub will be loaded with huge creamy white long stemed astilbe-like flowers. If you continue to cut your flowers it will have sporadic flowering through September. The flowers and the foliage are beautiful in arrangements, and have a long life when cut. I always cut mine right before the flowers fully open, when all the flowers are still a tiny little white ball. They'll fully open in the water.

The shrub suckers, so if you're planting it by the lawn, just mow over the shoots. I plant mine in my garden, and in the spring I root prune all around the shrub and pull out the emerged shoots, which are easily planted elsewhere or shared with friends. I have never had a problem with it overpowering my garden.

If your growing to sell for cuts they'll be one of your best sellers. One year I saved all the cobalt blue bottles I could get my hands on(about 30), and for July 4th at the farmers market I put one white Sorbaria and 2 red Dahlias in a blue bottle and sold out in 15 minutes.

Comments (7)

Sponsored