SHOP PRODUCTS
Houzz Logo Print
noni_morrison

Reving up for 2012!

Noni Morrison
12 years ago

Last year my first ever batch of chickens who were supposed to keep the dahlias clean of bugs, carefully scratched out all my labels I had carefully planted in each hill with the dahlias! Whenever I found one over the summer that I knew was correct I wired it to the support post as I should have done in the first place. Yesterday it was pleasant enough to go out and chart my ground (I leave them in the ground over the winter, with extra mulch) and compare it with 3 series of photos I took over last summer. I now know what most of them are, a good step to dividing and restarting and re-organizing this year.

It felt so good to be out working and thinking about dahlias again! I haven't ordered many new ones but need to do some selective elimination this year as there is only so much space. I came up with 158 plants, only a few are duplicates. I probably have 20 more coming.

I think I will sit and try to figure out which ones I don't love enough to keep!

I might actually be BORED with a few of them, but sure as shooting if I get rid of them I will miss them!

I do sell the flowers in the summer, but only have so much land.

What are the rest of you doing to get the season under way?

Comments (22)