SHOP PRODUCTS
Houzz Logo Print
noni_morrison

Van Engelen Horticulturist on Tulip BLight

Noni Morrison
19 years ago

Well! HE tells me it is impossible that we got it from HIS infected bulbs! He says that it is a soil born bacteria and it wouldn't spread that fast. That only the affected bulbs would be ...well, infected this year and the fireheads come up in the summer and spread it.

I told him that I had had NO other flowers of anykind planted in this soil to infect it but he says I have "something" in it...tht I should send a sample ot my county agricultue labs and ask them to test it for pathogens.

As to what they do to prevent it, he says the bulbs are x-rayed in both Holland and the US to check for it.

He recommended a chemical called terra-chlor. He says you have to be able to follow the instructions just right on it and then it works well.

SO interesting....his statements don't match up with my experience or the articles and photos I have seen that look exactly like what my tulips had. Me thinks he did not want to admit financial blame for my $1000 crop failure. IT did not match with what the articles said either....that the spores can conly be spread by soil.

So I kind of doubt I will be buying from Van Engelen this fall....

SO who do I buy from.....?

Comments (13)

Sponsored
Peabody Landscape Group
Average rating: 3.5 out of 5 stars8 Reviews
Franklin County's Reliable Landscape Design & Contracting