SHOP PRODUCTS
Houzz Logo Print
cfox248

Increasing water retention for gritty mix

cfox248
9 years ago

So. Repotting lemon tree here pretty soon before I bring it indoors for the winter. It's still in the soil mix with cedar shavings and perlite, but now it has stopped it's massive growth flush so I am comfortable repotting. I decided to go with the gritty mix. I will be buying a big bag of ReptiBark fir bark from the pet store, ordering Turface and scouring Fleet Farm for chicken grit. I use Foliage Pro so won't be adding the gypsum. My Orange tree will probably have to wait, since it's been repotted twice this summer already (It is the one in Black Diamond soil heavily amended with "Pine Nuggets" and perlite) and I don't want to shock it fatally with a third transplant.

How can I increase the water retentiveness in the summer? I am sure over the winter here in zone 3 it will be best for it to have the great drainage of the Gritty mix, but in summer I am often gone all weekend and as it stands I can give the trees a good soak before I leave and don't have to worry. (I mean I'm gone over the weekends in the winter too but I don't have to worry about the sun baking them dry inside!) Could I put a dish underneath the pot while I'm gone so it can suck up some of the water and jut remove it when I get back? Mulch over the top of the pot? Could I add 1 part soil to the mix (so it'd be 1:1:1:1 with bark, granite, turface and soil)? I wasn't going to use the 511 or Gritty because of this reason, but I really do want what's best for the trees.

My other option is to use 50% Black Gold soil and 50% bark and perlite. It would hold more water for me over the summer. This was my initial plan. Currently the lemon tree is more healthy thatn it's ever been, so it's hard for me to repot! but, I know it'll be best in the long haul.

This post was edited by cfox248 on Fri, Sep 12, 14 at 12:47

Comments (7)