SHOP PRODUCTS
Houzz Logo Print
brass_tacks

citrus killer alert

brass_tacks
15 years ago

As backyard growers of citrus trees we need to pay attention to all our citrus trees and know what the eggs, nympths, and adult Asian Psyllid look like. Although the actual symptom that can be recognized will only be seen maybe a year after infection, we need to know what it looks like so we can be a part of this tragedy being slowed down.

The bacterial tree disease is called Huanglongbing (HLB) also known as Citrus Greening Disease.

All the infected insect has to do is poke into one leaf of a citrus tree and the tree will become infected and serve as a host for other non-disease carrying Asian Citrus Psyllid to become a carrier. Of course, there is no cure and the tree will die after showing the leaf symtoms and its fruit becoming sour and somewhat deformed and not marketable.

One of the hosts for this insect is the Orange Jasmine. I don't know all the citrus-like plants that can become infected, but it's something we need to know so we can be on the lookout.

The insect is aphid-like in size and the eggs can be found on new flushes of leaves. This gives us another reason not to give our trees any more nitrogen than what they absolutely need we don't want to encourage new growth out of season).

I hope I don't sound like a know-it-all because I certainly am not -- but this is serious. Of all places, we need to be giving this subject tremendous promotion.

If you can provide us with up-to-date information, please do! The link below is very current. Just remember -- this is a threat to the entire citrus industry and to say the people in this industry are worried is an astronomical understatement -- not just in California and Florida. Texas and Louisianna are on the lookout because the insect is found there. Of course, everyone from a citrus growing area should be on the prowl and reporting here and to our extention services.

The link that I last posted to 'I don't think the Florida ban will end soon' wasn't the one I had intended to post, but it's a good link anyway. There is some information on that thread.

Brass

Here is a link that might be useful: be on the lookout alert

Comments (4)