SHOP PRODUCTS
Houzz Logo Print
txcactus

key lime repotting/soil

txcactus
15 years ago

This spring my key lime tree (bush type) had roots growing out the bottom of its pot. I went to HD and was advised to use Miracle Grow Moisture Control potting soil and a soil conditioner - which I did. Huge Mistake #1!

The soil stayed wet all the time. I began reading up on the different soil mixtures on this forum so I repotted the key lime using materials as close to Al's mix as I could get in my area. When I unpotted the lime tree, since this was its second repotting this spring, I was afraid disturb the root ball by taking the wet MG soil off the roots. Huge Mistake #2!

So now, my poor lime tree is in its pot with the part around the roots staying wet and the outer parts draining well. I'm reluctant to repot (cleaning off the roots) a third time this year but will if necessary. At this point, I don't want to make Huge Mistake #3.

The new leaves/stems it has put on are extremely limp. This could be from our hot weather we had in July/August maybe. I would like to get it in better shape before bringing it inside for the winter.

What should I do or should I do anything?

Comments (2)