SHOP PRODUCTS
Houzz Logo Print
noni_morrison

Tulip Fire

Noni Morrison
19 years ago

Thanks to Jane in Scotland mentioning this I know now what I have been dealing with! I am so disheartened...all last years tulips have it! Probably 15 hundred tulip bulbs and I was counting on having lots of second year flowers. THey are so icky and now I have to get the diseased bulbs out from amond the other bulbs...alliums, dutch iris, poeticus daffs, lilies.

I read up on it and it is a fungus. IT is spread by exactly the kind of weather we are having..very cool nights with dewey mornings or rain.

Apparently I have to dig up and remove all traces of these tulips and not plant others in the same place for 3 years.

My customers are not going to like this!

I will be able to plant some in the place I had them 4 years ago but it is limited in space....and the daffs I planted then are growing great. Interestingly they look just like the glads that I thought had thrips last year, but the article said that it was specific to tulips. It is a botrytis infection.

I notice that one patch of tulips I planted from Costco last fall has it. They are a bag of mixed early tulips. I shall have to dig them out tomorrow and just when I reallly need early tulips!

Comments (7)

Sponsored
Manifesto, Inc.
Average rating: 5 out of 5 stars9 Reviews
Franklin County's Premier Interior Designer | 2x Best of Houzz Winner!