SHOP PRODUCTS
Houzz Logo Print
jaro_in_montreal

Blue Cupressus cashmeriana in RTBG

jaro_in_montreal
12 years ago

Entrance to the Royal Tasmanian Botanical Gardens, and park plan...

{{gwi:673610}}

{{gwi:673612}}

{{gwi:673614}}

There were of course many very interesting plants at the Gardens.

But I was most impressed by the blue Cupressus cashmeriana: the lace-like foliage and blue color are something to see !

There were also a few of the regular green Cupressus cashmeriana, but those weren't nearly as impressive.

I collected a pocketfull of cones (marble-size things), which I hope to try to propagate.

The plant is from Bhutan, zone 8, so not much chance of growing it outdoors here in Montreal.

But they're just so beautiful, I think its worth trying to grow them in pots, and bringing them indoors for the winter...

Anybody try to grow them outdoors in zone 6 or 7 ? (my Cunninghamia lanceolata glaucas fared quite well through this winter, and they're said to be Z6; The Araucaria araucana is burnt as usual, however, being Z8 also. But it survives, on the snow-covered foliage...)

{{gwi:673616}}

A very nice Brewer's spruce... Its quite a bit narrower than he two I have in my back yard, and looks more like a Serbian spruce: any chance it might be mislabeled ?

{{gwi:673618}}

{{gwi:673620}}

An impressive Pinus Coulterii... (couldn't reach any of the giant cones)

{{gwi:673622}}

{{gwi:673624}}

Araucaria montana...

{{gwi:673626}}

{{gwi:673628}}

A very large Araucaria bidwillii....

{{gwi:673630}}

One funny thing I noticed was a label saying Cryptomeria dacrydioides on a large specimen that looked exactly like an C. araucarioides -- are these two synonyms ??

Comments (12)