SHOP PRODUCTS
Houzz Logo Print
crazydogs

Weekend Trivia: Sunday

Good morning dear cottagers,

Last night, we were watching a show on slang. It was called "America's Secret Slang." So, today, I am going back to words and history-two of my favorite subjects.

Some familiar uncomplimentary words had innocuous starts. For instance, hussy originally referred simply to a housewife. A snob was, at first, a shoemaker. Part of the episode focused on presidents who invented or repurposed words. For example, Teddy Roosevelt combined fray and fazzle (I was brushing my teeth then, so nit sure what fazzle meant, but will try to find it) to create frazzle. He also appropriated a term used by parents to describe their daughters' crazy new hair style when he described the 'new' art at a show and later used it against his political opponents. So, question 1: what is that term?

Question 2: what US President created or first used in our modern context the words belittle (he did create that one), mammoth as meaning huge, shag as in, well, hmmm, you know, ummm, sex, and neologism (also his creation)?

Cynthia

Oh and just for fun because this seemed to not be substantial enough for lots of clues, do you know what this is? I came across it yesterday and thought it was pretty cool!

Comments (29)

Sponsored
Integrity Woodworking Inc
Average rating: 5 out of 5 stars4 Reviews
Franklin County's Preferred Custom Cabinetry Professionals