SHOP PRODUCTS
Houzz Logo Print
kateuae

pruning an overgrown jade plant

kateuae
12 years ago

Can y'all stand another post on pruning a jade plant? I've searched the forum and read through quite a number of threads on the topic. I haven't seen anything quite exactly like my situation, so I was hoping to get a bit more specific advice or ideas.

I have two large jade plants that I inherited when we moved into our house, we have lived here for 4 years and they were already large when we got here. I have never trimmed or re-potted or really done anything at all with them except the occasional watering. I live in a desert climate, so they are outside all year 'round and seem to be doing fine being largely ignored.

However, they now seem to me to be overgrown. I've read that one should only prune 20-30%, but also that one should start by pruning all branches that grow over the rim of the pot. Well clearly if I do that here that would be more than 20%. I wasn't sure if I should have some picture in my mind of how I want it to look and go from there, or is there something healthier or better for the plant? The first plant has a "trunk" that curves upward a bit, so I think that could be trimmed to a bonsai-style tree, but the second one has grown almost completely laterally so nearly all its branches are hanging over the pot. What do I do with that?

Or should I just leave them alone altogether?

Any thoughts/advice much appreciated!

{{gwi:678842}}

{{gwi:678845}}

{{gwi:678848}}

{{gwi:678851}}

Comments (16)