SHOP PRODUCTS
Houzz Logo Print
bonniepunch

help with barrel cactus needed

17 years ago

I found a barrel cactus (Echinocactus grusonii) on sale at a grocery store for a very good price - DH loves them, and has always wanted one, so I had to grab it. It appears to be healthy at the moment - no mushiness, no swelling, no cracks, and it's 5 1/2" in diameter. It is in a 6" plastic pot (spines overhang the sides of the pot) and appears to be in a mostly peat based soil mix. It is currently quite top-heavy!

I don't have much experience with succulents and none at all with cacti, so I don't know if my instincts are good or not. What I want to do is repot it in a heavier terracotta pot with a more apropriate soil mix. But I don't know how big a pot I should use, or what the ideal components of the soil mix should be. On hand I have some commercial cactus soil, some perlite, some fine orchid bark, and some peat moss. I also don't know if I should do this now, or wait until spring.

I am in Canada (Montreal), so it is in a questionable environment right now - bright light but no sun. I can put it out in a hot sunny area in the summer, and I can put it under flourescents right now if that would be better. I assume it is dormant, and that I should not water until April or so - is that correct? How much and how often will a cactus of this size need water?

Also - any suggestions on how to go about this eventual repot without breaking any of the spines or impaling myself?

BP

Comments (5)