SHOP PRODUCTS
Houzz Logo Print
nandi323

Calamondin flower buds not opening, leaves yellowing

Nandi323
9 years ago

I have a calamondin, planted it about 2 years ago, it has been doing well, is in well draining soil, in a sunny position 5 - 6 hours of ful sun per day. I live in Cape Town, Bellville, South Africa, we are blessed with a medditaranian like climate, although this winter has been abnormally wet and cold to a point where we got a little bit of hale and frost - nothing major, and none of my plants suffered any frost damage as far as I can see. We are in the last month of winter now and it is still winter conditions, but more like what we are used to now than the previous two months. Our under ground water is higher than normal, but once again all my plants, that are all plants that like well draining soil, are all doing fine. I dug "the hole" and filled it with water and it drained pretty rapidly (about an half hour to an hour) even with all the rain that we have got this winter. But as i said it has been an abnormally cold gray winter.

My Calimondin somehow decided to cover itself in buds about a month and a half ago, they are all sitting pretty but not opening, and the leaves are starting to loose their shine and yellow a bit, it has a few fruits from last year's season, and they are growing fine. The tree is still pretty small, about 90 centimeters high, planted in the grownd, no pests that i can see, but we are prown to having major ant problems here althoug not this time of the year. And I can't see any of them, although that is not to say they aren't there.

I haven't given it any kind of plant food or verteliser this winter, because i was told not to by my local nursery.

Please help,

I do love this tree like you would love your child :-) and i would hate to loose it.

Thank you

Comments (6)