SHOP PRODUCTS
Houzz Logo Print
parrothead_fa

How much does citrus grow a year in South Florida?

parrothead_fa
17 years ago

Was curious, as this is my first time growing citrus. I have several grapefruit and orange trees, and noticed they had signs of new growth in the spring when I first planted them (the shiny light green leaves). Since then, all the branches have grown by at least 8-10", and the light green leaves have all darkened like the rest of the foliage, but so far, no signs of any new leaf budding or light green new growth. I also have several mango trees planted about the same time, and these have gone through several growth spurts, new tender green shoots and leaves that gradually lengthen and harden, and the put out another flush of new growth after becoming more woody. Do citrus only grow during a certain season of the year, or am I doing something wrong? The trees look healthy and are not losing any leaves, but they haven't increased in size at all since the original spurt this spring and no new leaves are coming. I did remove the small fruit when planting the trees as instructed by the nursery. Any input would be appreciated, as I am new to citrus trees, Dave

Comment (1)