SHOP PRODUCTS
Houzz Logo Print
greenman28

One screening method (pics)

Hi, everyone!

(Dave, I hope you enjoyed Tahoe thoroughly!)

I wanted to share my method of screening, which is pretty simple and not very costly.

In the Spring, I purchased a bunch of "pond baskets" - but when the shipment arrived, the baskets were only in the large size.

So I bought three, and ordered five more in a medium size. I ended up burying the medium baskets in the garden to protect

the roots of my peppers from gophers and moles, like so:

{{gwi:612771}}

Anyhow, that left me with three large baskets.

One I gave to my brother so that he can mix his own soils - and the others I kept for screening and rinsing my ingredients.

The other piece of equipment (pictured to the right) is a plastic nursery flat, used for transporting/displaying multiple plants.

If you purchase plants, the flats are usually free. If you ask for a flat, they'll probably charge you fifty cents ;)

{{gwi:10060}}

I set the nursery flat on top of the pond basket, and then dump on some bark, agitating it until the small particles fall through.

Yes, this process is certainly faster and more entertaining if you have a friend to help you...especially when mixing big batches.

{{gwi:10061}}

Once collected in the basket, I can thoroughly rinse with water until all of the bark-dust washes through the 1/16 and 1/8 inch holes.

Removing the bark-dust will make for a very fast-draining mix.

When I want to include the bark-dust - if I'm mixing 5-1-1, for instance - I set the pond basket in a plastic bag to collect the fines.

With other ingredients, like Pumice and Perlite, I simply dump the material into the basket and flood with water while turning and rolling.

Very fine Pumice and Perlite particles will *severely* clog a mix, so pay extra attention to remove the dust when rinsing these ingredients.

The more soil I mix, the more I'm convinced that problems arising with gritty, bark-based mixes are usually due to improper screening.

{{gwi:54917}}

And, lastly, a couple bags of Bark I bought the other morning. A new pallet had arrived, so I had my pick:

{{gwi:54916}}

Josh

Comments (25)