SHOP PRODUCTS
Houzz Logo Print
chadh_gw

Preparing Moss Garden

chadh
19 years ago

My house is set on a 2/3 acre block in the middle of a forest. The block remains heavily treed, so that grass growth is impossible anywhere but in a narrow strip along the road (and even there, the light is not so good). But that's okay, as I like the trees.

I have an area on the south side of the house which is pretty barren. It's immediately next to the house, and is shaded for most of the day. I blew about three inches of leaves from the area over the weekend, and found that significant amounts of the area had accumulated moss over the fall/winter. So now I'm all gung-ho to try to establish a moss garden there. I was hoping for some suggestions for properly preparing the area (especially as I have next to no gardening experience).

The area is obviously naturally conducive to moss growth. We have pines and maples all around, as well as masses of wild looking azaleas bordering this area. This all makes me think that the soil there is sufficiently acidic for success with moss. Should I have it tested anyway? And if so, how/where?

I will rip out some undesirable holly bushes that are planted along the wall of the house. This will increase the "mossable" area. The moss that is already growing there is patchy, and there are weeds and tufts of grasses sprinkled through the area as well. Is there a way to get rid of the weeds, grass and the like without hurting the existing moss, short of doing it all by hand?

The moss rich area stretches around a corner of our house, and the area is probably around 10' wide and 50' long. I'm only intersted in cultivating a 10'x20' area for the garden. There is a great deal of moss growing outside that particular 10'x20' area, and I would like to use this to help fill in the patchy coverage in the garden area. Am I better off to try to transplant the moss directly? Or would it be best to make a "milkshake" of moss, water and buttermilk and then spray it over the area? I suspect it would be best to do both: transplant as many large sections as I can, and then use the milkshake method to encourage "fill-in".

It should be simple to install some misting irrigation in the area. And I'd like to put an irregular flagstone path in as well. It seems sensible to attack all of that first, before dealing with the moss. But does anyone have any suggestions as to WHEN I should trasplant the moss? Is this something that I should do sooner rather than later? Or doesn't the moss really care?

Thanks for any help.

Chad

Comments (24)

Sponsored