SHOP PRODUCTS
Houzz Logo Print
thoughts_from_jules

Preparing the New Garden Area (When to do what?)

We are getting ready to prepare an area of about 50'wide x 170' long plus a bonus area off to one side that is 40' x60'. As you can imagine this is quite the area to think of tilling up (by hand or otherwise). Originally we planned to use the lasagna method but decided that because we started so late (didn't start last fall prepping the areas) and due to the massive amount of mulch materials needed to achieve lasagna method from scratch (cardboard, newspaper, straw, manure, etc.) that would be prohibitive to getting a good start for this spring.

We still plan to use a deep mulch method (Ruth Stout, or Lasagna methods as much as possible). So we are planning to NOT till from here on out. For this year my husband wants to till the area up.

Problem being we have a thick grass mat to deal with first. What would you recommend? So far all I can think of are to remove sod with a sod cutter? (We could haul it to the corner of our acreage for later compost I suppose, we do have the use of a skid steer loader most of the time (hubby works for a construction company). Or would you just spray with something like Round Up and wait a couple weeks for it to die and then till it up? Round Up seems less intensive in the labor/rental costs department and we already have a concentrated quart of it. Organic isn't as important as having manageable weeds, healthy plants, and balance of labor/cost for results.

We have about 6 ton of half rotten straw already hauled in and ready to start spreading out, we have a constant supply of fresh horse manure (as well as a large pile of composted manure that has wood shavings, hay, and manure all cimbined and well aged a couple years.) We have brought home many black garbage bags full of pine needles as well. So far that is all we have sourced out and secured for mulch. (Feels like a good start anyway.)

So what I am trying to figure out is the schedule for necessary functions to take place in time for proper planting time for things like broccoli, spinach, peas etc. Not as worried about the later crops that need warmer soil. If we spray when should we do that? How long to wait to till, do we till one more time after the initial tilling to take care of emerging weed seedlings? We are trying to reduce the number of times we have to rent equipment (sod cutter would be a rental as well as a tiller probably). We have the use of a rototiller, a Troybilt beast from the 70's or 80's that works like a charm. It just seems like a rototiller takes forever (but maybe that is because we didn't kill the grass last time we tried to till up an area.)

Comments (24)