SHOP PRODUCTS
Houzz Logo Print
terrestrial_man

Selaginella-got a favorite?

terrestrial_man
17 years ago

I still haven't figured it out. Why am I so attracted to these small plants, such as mosses and the club mosses? Is it the green? Is it that they are minis? Is it because they are so different from regular flowering plants that their difference arouses curiosity in me? I really have no clue!

But I definitely enjoy these plants and especially trying and learning how to grow them. While I am maintaining (that is stuff it in a pot and just water or spray on a regular basis while otherwise ignoring it) the mosses that I am "growing" (and the few temperate species of Lycopodium), I have finally gotten around to really trying to care (this is like cultivation where you spend time dickering around with the plant, its soil mix, inspecting for bugs, etc.) for the several Selaginella species (of both subgenera).

While I enjoy the commonly available Selaginella kraussiana which is a great little carpet of green, I think that I prefer members of the other subgenera that are characterized by the eastern genus of S. rupestris or the western genus of S. densa. These are great little plants and do well in pots and can be used in creating interesting focal pieces in clay pans with assorted rocks or sheets of rock as an accent upon a semi-shaded deck.

So I am wondering if I am alone in my preferences?

Like the Selags? Got any that are your favorite? How do you grow them?

Comments (18)

Sponsored
WhislerHome Improvement
Average rating: 5 out of 5 stars9 Reviews
Franklin County's Committed Home Improvement Professionals