SHOP PRODUCTS
Houzz Logo Print
lelandcyris

Leyland Cypress questions

lelandcyris
15 years ago

Hi gals and guys.

I had a leyland cypress lay over due to some heavy snow in early March. I initially tried strapping it back up but the upper roots were gone. After cutting it up this weekend, I dug up the root ball and found the large upper roots had severed (almost all of them). So it might have lived but would have required permanent strapping. Too much of a PITB so I sawed it up.

This was a group of 6 planted five feet apart to hide the neighbor's junk hole house and garage. Since they were planted so close together, they grew vertically (they are 30-40 feet tall) and have giant vertical trunks instead of the Christmas tree look. The insides are full of brown, dead limbs because there was no light up to about 15 feet.

Now my questions (finally you say :D):

1) If I top the remaining trees with a cherrypicker, will the insides of the trees that can now get sunlight branch out with live growth?

2) Since these weren't maintained, would it be better to just saw them down and replant them with new leylands that would be maintained as a hedge and planted 10' apart as they should have all along?

Thanks,

Leland

Comments (5)