SHOP PRODUCTS
Houzz Logo Print
todancewithwolves

Eulogy to Fergus

todancewithwolves
14 years ago

Eulogy to Fergus

We lost our dear Fergus on Saturday to a speeding motorist in our quiet lazy little neighborhood. The only remains we found was a fresh pair of skid marks and an anoymous note stapled to a telephone pole in front of our house that said a cat had been hit.

Fergus never left the backyard in a year and a half we had him however something must have drawn his interest that fatal morning.

We would like to remember Fergus as a brave kitty who brought down 3 very large rats. He even so lovingly brought one in the house to share with the family. His brothers, Quinton, Ruari and Angus have been very somber and sad since Saturday.

We will miss his silly antics and extremely vocal personality. Rest in peace dearest Fergus.

Comments (28)

• PRO
    Nell Jean
    14 years ago

Such a sad event. It only takes that one time when Brave Kitty decides to explore.
    What great memories of him: Brave Hunter Fergus, Killer of Rodents.

Nell

• aftermidnight Zone7b B.C. Canada
    14 years ago

(((Edna))) so sorry to here about Fergus.

Annette

• plantmaven
    14 years ago

Dear dear cousin Ed, Our sympathies are certainly with you at this time.
    How nice that he brought you his rat!

• thinman
    14 years ago

So sorry, dear Edna. Guidbye, Fergus.

TM

• plantlady999
    14 years ago

Sorry about the lose of your kitten.

Sue

• todancewithwolves
    Original Author
    14 years ago

His brother, Angus, is on lock down. No more going out until we have our farm.

I am calling the police to have an officer monior speeders on our street. It's getting really bad.

• PattiOH
    14 years ago

I'm very sorry to hear this sad news about your dear little Fergus.
    You and the brothers are in my thoughts.
    Sending you a group hug.
    Patti

• solana
    14 years ago

How sad, Edna.

At least the perp had the conscience to post a note.

I adopted a de-clawed foster kitty (she's probably 10 years old, but tiny) 14 months ago & she loves to explore outdoors. It's a really tough call whether to keep her indoors & safe, or let her follow me into the garden.

(((Hugs))) from Iena & me. ~Ana

• girlgroupgirl
    14 years ago

I'm so sorry Edna,

ggg

• midnightsmum (Z4, ON)
    14 years ago

Oh Edna - it's tough but cats are gonna do what cats are gonna do - sweet Sweet Sylvester went back to the Mother Ship two weeks ago - she was 16 or 17 - a venerable puss. I didn't think I would cry, but I was a waterworks.....it's tough to lose a sweet soul.

Nancy.

• libbyshome
    14 years ago

Oh Edna, how very sad. I know how much he'll be missed.

Libby

• memo3
    14 years ago

Edna, I am so sorry for your loss.

MeMo

• greylady_gardener
    14 years ago

Sorry for the loss of your dear Fergus! hugs to you at this sad time.
    Also to you Nancy at the loss of your dear Sylvester.

gg/L

• natalie4b
    14 years ago

Edna,
    hugs and blessings. So sorry about loss of your beloved kitty.

~Nat

• Eduarda
    14 years ago

Dear Edna, so sorry to hear about the loss of Fergus! Knowing you, I know you must be devastated... Sending big hugs your way.

Eduarda

• User
    14 years ago

I am so sorry that someone was so inconsiderate as to be speeding and hit your sweet kitty. It has happened to us and it is always hard. I saw my sweet Greyteaux ( he had a grey toe) get hit one morning. I thought I would never stop crying. I am sorry for you and the brothers too. c

• gldno1
    14 years ago

Edna, I am so sorry dear Fergus is gone. WE lost Mama Cat two weeks ago, I saw her laying by the side of the road and thought she had been hit. DH examined her and said that he didn't think so. She was 17 and just laid down in the sunshine and died. Somehow I was relieved that she ended that way and not the other.

She wasn't a very friendly cat, but we do miss her following us around when we are outside.....wanting to be fed.

• BecR
    14 years ago

So sorry to hear this, Edna. :(

Both my kitties only come out with me when I am in the garden--when I go in, they go in. One walks on a harness, while the other stays close with me. We do this almost every day for 15-30 minutes, and makes us all happy, a win-win situation all around.

Becky

• todancewithwolves
    Original Author
    14 years ago

I'm sorry to hear of your loss, gldno1. I hope when I go that I go the same way, just laying down in the sunshine. She had a good long life.

Becky, Fergus never went far from me that's why I find this so upsetting. He hated being outside. I would have expected this from my big Manx, Angus, who is a tom cat. He's on lock down going crazy being in the house and yowels all day. I feel so bad for him. I know he misses his big brother.

I adopted a new kitty from the shelter. I picked the ugliest one I could find. She had both arms reaching through the bars as I walked by and latched on to my sweater. We now have Fionna. I gave her a loving home and in return she gave me a million scratches on my legs, back, hands and arms *lol* She's a pistol. I hope she will be good company for Angus.

• PattiOH
    14 years ago

Oh Edna, bless your heart, you're an angel.
    Feisty Fionna is a very lucky lady indeed!

Hugs,
    Patti

• FlowerLady6
    14 years ago

((((Dear Cousin Edna)))) Bless your heart. I'm sorry for your loss of Fergus. The person who hit him must have had some kind of heart to leave a note like they did. Maybe he won't speed through the area anymore. Fergus had a loving home and brought you gifts in return. He has now crossed over the rainbow bridge and is romping around with other pets, waiting for the big reunion.

Gldno ~ Sorry for your loss as well. But what a sweet way to go, a nap in a grassy bed in the sunshine.

Nancy ~ Sorry for your loss too.

It is so hard to lose our feline family members.

Love and hugs ~ FlowerLady

• todancewithwolves
    Original Author
    14 years ago

(((HUGS))) to you Nancy. What a ripe ol' age your dear Sylvester was.

(((HUGS))) to you Trailrunner. I can't imagine witnessing something so tragic. I would have been taken away to the loony bin.

Thank you all for your condolences.

• little_dani
    14 years ago

So sorry about your Fergus, Edna, and very happy for Fionna. I love it when an animal gets a good home, and their very own people.

Our Fluffy left us this morning, the same way Gldno's kitty left. She was 20 years old, and loved us unconditionally. She was a tiny little cat- she weighed maybe 5 pounds. Great hunter, even in old age; She could and would be the worst nightmare for a rat or mouse. She loved to set under the sprinkler when it was hot. I will miss her so much.

Janie

• BecR
    14 years ago

Dear Edna~ congrats on your new kitty Fiona!

Just remember that you cannot trust your pet to stay in your yard, unless you are right there with them. Sorry to lecture, but I have heard way too many stories like this and it breaks my heart.

A big (((hug))) to you Edna, and to all who have experienced the loss of a pet.

Becky

• slubberdegulion
    14 years ago

So sorry to hear about the loss of Fergus! We live on a busy corner and although our cats mostly stay in the yard, we always worry. Amazingly, so far as we know, only one cat has been hit in the time we've lived here. Even more amazingly, no kids have been hit.

We stopped to chat with a lady down the road a few days ago when I myopically commented on her pretty tree (a giant rose, yet another sign I may need new glasses). She had recently buried her rescue cat. She had a heart problem and had spent a spring day running around having so much fun she just fell over, having played herself to death. Sad, but at least she died happy.

Take care,
    kent

• Eduarda
    14 years ago

OMG, this on a whole is a post I should not be reading after an extremely stressful week, as I can't stop being teary all the way. So sorry to hear about the losses of all your pets, I know I will be devasted when the time comes for my own beloved pet, so I don't even want to think about it - but you all that have lost a pet have my full sympathy.

"I adopted a new kitty from the shelter. I picked the ugliest one I could find."

Edna, I already knew that in my heart, but this confirms my suspicion that you are a red haired angel on a mission on Earth to love all the critters! :-) Welcome to little Fionna and we want to see pictures!

Big hugs
    Eduarda

• DYH
    14 years ago

Edna,
    Sorry to hear of the loss of Fergus. It's so sad to lose a sweet pet.

My apologies for being late in seeing this since we were away and I'm catching up.

Cameron

• shropshire_lad
    14 years ago

Oh, Edna. That is just tragic. My heart goes out to you. The driver should have at least knocked on the door or signed a name with contact info on the letter. An anonymous note -- how unhelpful! What did he even do with poor Fergus? I'm so sorry for your loss. I'm sure he was a wonderful cat.

JJ

Sponsored
Kuhns Contracting, Inc.
Average rating: 5 out of 5 stars26 Reviews
Central Ohio's Trusted Home Remodeler Specializing in Kitchens & Baths