SHOP PRODUCTS
Houzz Logo Print
slubberdegulion

Maryland Sheep and Wool

slubberdegulion
16 years ago

Well, it wasn't France or Maui (sigh), but I went to Maryland this past Friday-to-Sunday with a friend of mine in the neighborhood and an old friend of hers (who is now a new friend of mine) who drove in from Arizona. We represented the new neighborhood knitting group and met with a group of New Jersey knitters there my neighbor used to call neighbors. It was a Jersey accent immersion experience, which was great.

Our motel room was like a slumber party, minus the pillow fight (although we did discuss it). We all fought with the shower and decided scalding was better than freezing and learned to pretend the constantly running cold water sounded like rain. I got a laugh when I said McDonald's for breakfast was "exotic", but I honestly don't get out very much. (When did they get drinkable coffee?) The lamb sausages at the festival were delicious! My favorite ones were from a boy scout-run outfit. A boy scout was wandering around with a sandwich board saying "No lines and resonably priced!" He was tiny and the "resonably priced" bit was too funny coming from him.

I suppose I've come a little ways since I started knitting (January?), but I was totally blown away by all the various fiber arts on display. I was given a drop spindle and some roving to practice on, which I'm a little dubious about. One of the ladies we were with is a felter and sells her wares at festivals, that looks interesting too.

I met a lady who was demonstrating a gorgeous spinning wheel (starting price $5,000). She said she'd just cut a check for a custom one for herself. She said she wrote the check, threw up, then called a friend to share the excitement. I would love to get a small spinning wheel (a small, plain wheel that costs way less!). Somewhere in line after a bee hive and some actual yarn so I can do some knitting. And whatever other hobbies get in the way of day-to-day living along the way.

It was really great to sit outside and listen to the music and discuss techniques and fiber and general crazy stuff, I learned a lot in the two days of the festival. A wonderful lady gave us a demonstration of her "smart loom" and showed us some pieces made on it (another wannabe hobby). I made it to the end of the sheep-to-shawl contest and was dazzled. I wandered around the plants for sale and was mistaken several times for an employee (I hope I didn't give anyone bad advice). I siddled up to spinners and asked why they were using the wheels they had. I felt and smelled and wrote down the names of all the yarn and rovings I liked. I bought a small book on drop spindles so I can (hopefully) learn to use mine.

I watched our Arizona friend use her lucet to make cord. I even debated the finer points of the Harry Potter series. I amazed everyone with the assortment of useful things in my backpack and got a chance to wear my big floppy hat in public. I didn't get much time to read (someone told me I was clutching my book hopefully and I packed it up). I did peruse my free copy of Backyard Chickens magazine though. I petted alpacas and chatted with a young lady who was holding an angora bunny. (Things I want #33.)

We came back totally worn out but still giggly. It's nice to be back home. Johnny took advantage of my absence to surreptitiously plant some veggies and my Crambe cordifolia sent up, for the first time, flower stalks in the two days I was gone (no flowers yet).

And all that was because I decided last winter I'd plant some indigo seeds. Hobby proliferation!

I hope y'all are having a good week.

kent

Comments (6)

Sponsored
High Point Cabinets
Average rating: 5 out of 5 stars21 Reviews
Columbus' Experienced Custom Cabinet Builder | 4x Best of Houzz Winner