SHOP PRODUCTS
Houzz Logo Print
chena_gw

Winter Cheer!

chena
16 years ago

Hope you don't mind WF... BUT it is cold and gloomy here the fog is still so thick you can't see 100 ft... This is a pic I have saved from last yr.. it is at Wildflowers house and it just makes me smile....I can see sitting out there laughing and having a ball..

Chena

{{gwi:586926}}

Comments (44)

• daniellalell
    16 years ago

I wanna be there right now!!
    O I hate winter!! Right now its a snow/sleet/rain mix..roads are icy, I almost fell down my back steps before taking the puppy out. Kids aren't even getting let out of school early, screw it as soon as the 3 yr old wakes up from her nap I'm goin and gettin the kids..only supposed to get worse. I want sun and warmth.
    I can see sitting right there drinking a parrot bay n coke, and just laughing and realxing, and havin a good ol time.
    To help me in my misery, I have this pic of one of my dahlias from this year as my bkgrnd pic.
    {{gwi:586933}}
    Daniella

• chena
    Original Author
    16 years ago

That is beautiful!!! Look at that bee in there havin his way with your flower!! LOL Hope the weather clears for you soon.. I also hope WF doesn't mind that we are all on our way too her house..
    Chena

• Related Discussions

Sunflower Harvest

Q

Comments (7)
    Wonderful. I wish I had the room to plant that many. My friend who sells at Farmers Markets, will sell the seed heads in his stall for $3 - $5 depending upon the size. I love them, I buy them and stick or hang them along my old wire picket fence out back for the birds.
    ...See More

¿what´s with this vriesea?

Q

Comments (9)
    ¿Cómo? I assume that if you buy a computer in a Spanish speaking country the keyboard will have those, Stan. For the rest of us, there are tricks for typing special characters (see link). I can't find a way to make a macron (looks like a long vowel sound) over a vowel, though. If anyone knows a way, please let me know, because a lot of Hawaiian words have that. Here is a link that might be useful: Tip sheet on special characters
    ...See More

november blooms

Q

Comments (7)
    Wow, that tagetes was at least three times the size my biggest one ever got. What a show! Here in the lower Oakland hills I've got the ever-reliable (somewhat boring) euryops, along with limonium, plectranthus ciliatus, tons of roses, (even more boring) lantana, pelargoniums, evergreen iberis, passiflora, eryismum, and another almost perpetual bloomer, pink cestrum. The cool weather and intermittent rains have even brought the nasturtiums into bloom again.
    ...See More

I think I figured out how to post pics!

Q

Comments (7)
    Mike, That is indeed a fig. It was my first and is nice and large but yet to throw off any figs. My smaller and newer one had 4 figs in the first year I had it (they fell off b/c winter came) and is now covered with tiny new figs. Go fig-ure (sorry), I've heard some plants take a while to produce. And mandrin1, it's indeed a she. Cali is my rescue kitty. She likes sitting IN the larger pots. I'm worried my tomato seedlings will meet the same fate as the arugula she sat on after sampling. Luckily my balcony is really well shielded from the wind. The folks on the back side are lucky if they can keep soil in their pots. Best! Liz
    ...See More
  • fool4flowers
    16 years ago

Those are so pretty. I love all the twinkling lights! Looks like Margaritaville. That dallia is beautiful. I wonder if they can be grown here. Hope you didn't get hurt when you fell. Bring the kids home and bake some cookies.

• rigo74
    16 years ago

Hey Guys! I will bring the Cronas and limes so count me in!
    Rigo74

• daniellalell
    16 years ago

HEHE, I'm so there! I'll bring the rum and some snacks!
    Chena, I love takin pics of the flowers when they have visitors, I just think it makes the pic so much better.

Thank you F4F, no I didn't get hurt..but lmao, I left to get the kids early and almost fell out of the bed of the truck when i was scraping the ice off the back window. Of course I tried to play it off and make sure there was noone looking from other houses, lol. Roads are terrible, I was sliding all over and only doing 15! Shoulda put her in 4WD.
    I don't see why you couldn't grow Dahlias there in TX F4F, maybe they might need some afternoon shade though. I grow mine in full sun, along with my cannas..water 2x a day. If mine make it thru winter storage, I'll send ya some in the spring to try out!
    I should make some cookies, but I think instead I will make some Tapioca pudding. Stir for 1/2 hr till my arm falls off, lol.
    Daniella

• chena
    Original Author
    16 years ago

I say ICE DOWN those Coronas...LOL!!! maybe a little Parrot Bay!!

• shortyhead
    16 years ago

Really great photo, D. I agree, visitors make the flowers so much more interesting. The roads sound so dangerous there, and I know you're trying to be careful. Good idea to go get them before all the school traffic starts. In '01, I left the house within one minute after the plane hit the pentagon to get my kids out of school in Northern Virginia, after FEELING the jolt of the crash. Got to both schools before the school staffs knew about the crash and before the traffic jams started.

Jim

• karyn1
    16 years ago

I love the little white lights and the pink dahlia is so cheerful looking. It's pretty nasty here and is supposed to get worse. DH and the two older kids ended up leaving for the meet earlier today and I'm supposed to drive down tomorrow and stay through Sunday. I hope it doesn't get bad because I really don't feel like driving in snow and ice but I also don't want to be home alone for 4 days, well with Kyle, same thing.
    Karyn

• wildflower
    16 years ago

Ya'll come on down!!! And how did you guys know it was Margaritaville here? All of my neighbors know it because they hear a lot of Jimmy Buffett whether they want to or not. Been meaning to drag out that JB Christmas cd. The plants love it. Especially the Christmas cacti.

Well meant to post something about one of our special people here since yesterday but have not had time. One of our dear members Neonposey is actually Santa in disguise and put a package on my doorstep when I wasnt' looking... Her real name is Suzie and I'd sent her some of the Susie Q cuttings back a couple of months ago. Told her the story of why I bought them in the first place and she made me a beautiful gift and sent it as a surprise. I had a dog and she was my baby. Her name was Suzy and she died of a brain tumor about a year and a half ago. Neonposey-Suzie made me an ornament with Suzy's picture. I can't get a good shot of it because of the flash reflecting and I so want to post it here, but it's a gorgeous 3D image. Was a complete surprise to me and it's beautiful.

So anyway, I am in the Christmas spirit now and all of you come on down to Margaritaville and I'll make room! Beautiful dahlia pic Daniella. What's parrott bay? Is that rum?

• jumpin4joy
    16 years ago

Everyone please atay safe with all the winter travel. There is no good reason to rush! Stay safe and warm.

• linda441
    16 years ago

WF--I am on my way! If it turns too cold we will just move the party here to FL and party in the gardens. I have some PB ready for a party and Strawberry Daiquaris and can whip up some Margueritas as well
    I hope you can post a pic later of the Ornament-I know what its like to lose a pet. My 15 yr old calico died today in her favorite spot--out beside the pond. I adopted her when she was younger and she had been abused.
    She was my garden "helper" and will be missed

• neonposey
    16 years ago

Oh Linda.... she died today? My heart just breaks when someone loses a pet because I KNOW that they're actually losing a very important family member. At least she was at her favorite spot and probably went very peacefully. Big Hugs to you. I know you will miss her terribly.

Wildflower - how DID you know Margaritas were my MOST FAVORITE! In fact, I had one Tuesday nite with a big fat steak. Unfortunately, I was driving so I only got to have one, but I would have loved a pitcher. Buffet and Tequila... yummo!

I'm sure somewhere online has pics of the balls. They don't do the ribbon, snow or flowers - thats my special touch - but at least y'all could get the idea. I'll post it if I find it.

Everyone stay safe - Its been in the mid 70's here this week but supposed to be cooling off tonite with a chance of winter weather this weekend. HO, HO, HO!

• karyn1
    16 years ago

Linda I'm so sorry about your fur friend. I've lost a few of my kitties over the past two years and there's one I still think of almost daily. I had that cat for 28 years, almost 29 and she was like my first baby. My oldest son had asthma when he was very young and there was some concern that he'd have problems because of the cat (Moishe). That wasn't the case but I wouldn't have gotten rid of her even if it was. Don't get me wrong, I don't put as much value on an animals life as I do a person but I'd had that cat since I was 11 and she wasn't going anywhere! Wildflower that was such a thoughtful gift that Suzie made for you.

Daniella I can't believe they didn't let school out early. Two flakes and they cancel school here. It's still just rain here and I don't want it to change to ice. I don't want to be driving for 3 hours tomorrow evening but I really don't want to stay here either. The thought of being alone for 4 days is so depressing. I just hate being by myself. Never lived alone and never wanted to. I didn't mind staying in a hotel by myself when I'd travel for business but I don't want to be in my home with nobody to keep me company. I came real close to calling my Mom to spend the night. lol
    Karyn

• chena
    Original Author
    16 years ago

OMG.. Linda I am so sorry to hear you lost your baby..I know she must of been so blessed to be adopted and get to live in your garden.... She will be there forever...
    Chena

• technodweeb
    16 years ago

Linda - I'm so sorry. Tears for her, and your loss.

She was so lucky to have found you - and will be in your heart forever.

• technodweeb
    16 years ago

Oh I forgot - the winter cheer part. I'm sorry.

WF - I'll bring all the fixings for pineapple upside down 'tinis and apple 'tinis if anyone is interested!

Cheeseburger in Paradise playing loudly! (grin)

• bonnie12210
    16 years ago

Linda,I am so sorry about your loss,I know how special the adopted ones are I adopted a pit bull about 6 years ago,and bless her heart she has saved my life twice,once in a boating accident when I almost lost my leg,and had been hit by the boat motor and knocked out she came out to where I surfaced and I came to enough to hold on to her she swam me back to the boat,so I could hold on till help arrived,when I was picked up my blood pressure was 40/32.Oh good grief its Christmas,make mine a double of whatever.lol.Bonnie

• technodweeb
    16 years ago

LOL Bonnie

Oh I know - between smiling and crying - forget the little tini glasses - put mine in a rocks glass please!

And. . .gimme a straw! (for lack of an IV) LOL. . .

• daniellalell
    16 years ago

I am so sorry about the loss of your kitty Linda, ((hugs))
    I know how hard that is.
    WF, yes Parrot Bay is Coconut Flavored Cap'n Morgan..DEE~LISH! Right now in this nastiness I have here, I'll settle for some Baileys in my coffee. Heck of a storm yesterday. At about 4pm yesterday I had the puppy outside for a tinkle, lol..heard a loud cracking, looked toward MIL's house (diagonal across intersection from me) and saw a big ol branch from her giant pine tree fall on her house. Fortunately no damage..don't ask me how. Same thing happened all over around here, SO many pines lost large branches from the weight of the ice, streets are blocked off, wires down. Weatherman last night said we had 1/4 to 1/2 inch of ice on everything and even the well-treated highways were very icey. Do you think kids had a delayed opening? NO! Karyn, they hardly ever have early dismissals here, I heard that it's cuz so many parents commute to NY for work. Don't know if that's true or not, if so I think it's a crappy excuse.

Back to sunny warm thoughts..blown out flip-flops and frozen concoctions in the blender! Oh Dweeb, an apple-tini sounds SO good right now I can taste it! BTW Dweeb, glad to hear from ya, I was worried when you hadn't posted..damn ice storms. I saw yesterday you had posted and was relieved all is OK.
    Karyn, LMAO now you KNOW being with Kyle isn't like being alone..He's your youngest right? you think he's gonna let you rest and relax? HAHA!! That's a good one. He'd keep ya busy and you'd have all that special one on one time with him.

Daniella

• wildflower
    16 years ago

Linda, I am so very sorry to hear about your baby... Mine are my garden helpers also, and it's very tragic to lose one. I'm posting a pic of the ornmanet for you but this sooooo does not do it justice!
    {{gwi:586934}}

This is the picture I sent Suzie of my Suzy and she's put inside the ormanent some way or another:
    {{gwi:586936}}

It's really an awesome thing to see and I wish I could've gotten a better pic...

Bonnie, your story is amazing. And all of you, everything you've suggested bringing sounds great to me! What's taking all of you so long to get here anyway? Surely none of you are having problems driving in the ice...

• karyn1
    16 years ago

I can't tell what the ornament looks like from the pic but Suzy was a beautiful dog.
    Karyn

• shortyhead
    16 years ago

Linda, I am so, so sorry for your loss. I lost one of my cats 6 months ago. He was 16 pounds and very gentle. He was one of the finest people I've known. With new little kittens, he would teach them to play chase and kick box.

When they were so little that they fit in the palm of my hand, Carter would get in front of them and run. When they began to chase him, he would stop in the middle of the room and let them catch up. Then he'd take off again, running to the wall and wait there until they caught him. When it was their turn to run, he's lollygag walking behind them until they got to the far wall, and then he'd grab them.

I'd see them at times in a ball, kickboxing each other, Carter being ever so gentle with the little kitties. When I'd walk by, he'd look up as if to say, "See, poppa, I'm like a little daddy too." All my kitties lick each other a lot.

One night he didn't come in and didn't come in the next morning. I searched for weeks, had ads in the papers, photos at all the town vet and at the animal center. It was devastating and still hurts.

As I type this, two of my cats are on the desk, next to the computer. Some of my friends say at times that they want to come back in their next life as one of Jim's cats.

• chena
    Original Author
    16 years ago

Suzy looks like a licker.. Lots of kisses....she is beautiful...

• fool4flowers
    16 years ago

Linda, I'm so sorry about your cat. Our doberman is getting old and has cancer and I know it won't be long before she isn't with us anymore either. I hate to see the day. She has gone with us to work and been our faithful companion for 12 years.

• wildflower
    16 years ago

Suzy was a sweet dog. She was a 45 lb. lap-dog and a momma's baby. I really wish I could get a better ornament picture. It's beautiful in person. F4F, have you posted a picture of your dog here before? The one that was checking out your catch of the day maybe?

• fool4flowers
    16 years ago

The little devil dog Jack Russell named BB was the one trying to get the fish. Mercedes is the really well behaved doberman that is my husbands shadow and we have a real sweet chow/retriever mix named Goldie that just loves to play with all the children that come to the shop but hates cats. I have to keep her away from strays that come around. I will post a pic of the 3 of them. I just found out Mercedes has cancer. She has had a large benign tumor for about 3 years but she got another one that we noticed and it was odd shaped and growing quickly so I took her to get checked out and they did a biopsy and it is malignant. They seem to think she will be ok for a while still but don't recommend surgery because of her age and where it is located. She is almost 13 years old. We will enjoy every day we have left with her and my husband will be devasted when the time comes we have to put her down because I will not allow her to suffer if it gets to that stage. She is already on 2 daily medications but seems to still not be in pain other than arthritis and still living a normal life.

{{gwi:580505}}

• gee8ch
    16 years ago

Linda: So very sorry for the loss of your beloved pet. I rescue abandoned and abused cats and I know how grateful they are and what wonderful companions they can be. It sounds as if your kitty had a good life with you so you can think of her as having won the cat lottery. If it's any comfort to you, know at least she went in a place where she was loved and taken care of. Bless you for rescuing her. Gloria

• fool4flowers
    16 years ago

I feel for all of you that have lost pets. They really are like one of your kids. That ornament was a really nice thing to do. Daniella I would love to try some dahlias in the spring. Thanks for offering.

• neonposey
    16 years ago

Ok. Here's the skinny on the glass ball ornaments. I can tell you what I do and how I do it, but if you've never seen one, then its hard to explain the effect it has on you. Imagine peering into a crystal ball... and seeing a loved one looking back at you. Thats what its like peering into these ornaments. There is something a little magical about them.

I first saw one years ago at work. A lady I worked with had one with her church it in. She had bought it at the church fund raiser. I decided I could do that.. so I did and added my own touches. I've been doing them for years.

All I do is print a photo (or part of a photo) on a transparency. Cut it to the size of the ball and roll it up and insert in the ball. (I have a template I've created to make it quick and easy depending on the size of the glass ball I use). I straighten it out then add iridescent glitter (snow) and a rose in the ball and put a bow on top. Simple and they look great.

Heres a link where they were showing how to do it on the Carol Duval Show. Look at the second picture and you can see faces peering back at you. I've put everything in balls from babies to whole families to horses to peoples old homestead. This year I clipped a image from an old home movie my uncle had of my mother and dad holding me when I was a baby. They divorced when I was very young and my brother and I have NO pictures of them together. They are both dead now, so of course, I made us both a ball. I'm also having the picture blown up and will frame it for my brother for Christmas. Its fun, inexpensive and I've never seen anyone not love receiving one.

Thats all... now for that margarita!

Here is a link that might be useful: Glass photo ornaments

• daniellalell
    16 years ago

No prob F4F, just email me your address so I can get it in my notebook with a reminder for in the spring. I can't promise you'll get that kinda bulb "Pink Attraction", As I didn't get to label them for winter-storage, so..it'll be a surprise, lol.
    Daniella

• fool4flowers
    16 years ago

I sent you an email Daniella. Thanks. Any color will be fine. I love them all, lol. I like the looks of different colors mixed together. Something new to see in every plant. I'll try them in some afternoon shade. I am planning a bed for the spring that will be quite large and once the trees leaf back out for the full summer heat they will get good dapple sun up there and it seems a little cooler in the front of the house than the back. Thanks

• technodweeb
    16 years ago

WF, Suzie looks so cute in that picture. There's nothing wrong with it. She has an interest in her eye - she's looking off camera just past the viewer's shoulder giving you a sense of her adventure, and she's about to go after it - it makes the viewer want to turn an see what she's looking at.

Just from my eye.

F4F - my old Jake is 14 - he went through several major operations - along with a stroke - then a rebuilt knee, etc about 4 years ago.

He has trouble with accidents now - and they're happening more frequently. He knows - and he sleeps on a "pad" at nite now. He barks if his "pad" isn't down when he wants to go to sleep.

He is now rapidly losing weight. I know if I go to the doctor, she's just going to tell me he's old and his time is nearing.

He's had a good life. Jake loves to body surf in the Pacific. We used to go 3 times a week. He's been cross country many, many times, he loved when we'd go camping at timberline in the sierra nevadas - he loved Dinky Creek with the snow melt - swimming in Sonoma Lake, the fresh snow in Lake Tahoe - chasing deer near the house - until one turned and chased him! (grin) He even helped me repair this old house I'm in now!

I'm just not ready for it to be over, but I know I don't have much time left with him.

Eeesh - can someone mix me a martini please? LOL. . .

• chena
    Original Author
    16 years ago

I was looking for a place to post this ..I think it fits in good here!

This is ligit. I checked it on Snopes.
    http://www.snopes.com/inboxer/charity/animalrescue.asp

Subject: FREE FOOD FOR ANIMAL SHELTERS
    Hi,
    For all you animal lovers. This is pretty simple.
    Please tell ten friends to tell ten today! The Animal Rescue Site
    is having trouble getting enough people to click on it daily to meet
    their quota of getting free food donated every day to abused and
    neglected animals.

It takes less than a minute to go to their site
    and click on the purple box "fund food for animals" for free. This
    doesn't cost you a thing.

Their corporate sponsors/advertisers use the number of daily visits to donate food to abandoned/neglected animals in
    exchange for advertising.

Here's the web site! Pass it along to people you
    know.

Here is a link that might be useful: Freed Food for Animal Shelters!

• fool4flowers
    16 years ago

I'll do it Kylie. I took a 50lb bag of dog food to our local no kill shelter a couple of weeks ago and the school did a paper towel drive to help them out. They go through a gazillion rolls of the stuff cleaning up after the animals. I know Mercedes time is coming soon but try not to think about it as long as she is not feeling too bad. She has leaking issues too and that is what one of her mediations is for. It helps if you want to check into it its called phenylpropanalamine I think the brand name is Proin or something like that. She stays on her child size comforter at home on the carpet and I wash it every morning. Its a pain but its worth it.

• chena
    Original Author
    16 years ago

BUMP!

• linda441
    16 years ago

Thank you everyone for your heartfelt sympathies for Sassy and understanding. The ornament os gorgeous and I will have to try making some of those when I can find time. I will have to find a picture of Sassy for one and do some of my other critters.

• technodweeb
    16 years ago

F4F:

"Proin"? His accidents aren't bladder, they're bowel. I'll check into it, though. Thanks.

He's on Levotabs, a thyroid medicine, and Prevocox, an anti-inflamatory, and dasuquin for joints.

I wash his pad and sheet every morning also. You're right, it's a pain, but it's worth it.

He's just unsteady on his feet - but the sparkle is still in his eye, and he's still bossy, so as long as he "tells" me he's ok, he's gonna stay with me.

Chena: I went to the site - I'll head there again later today.

I just ordered half a gross (72) sweatshirts to have delivered to an organization that cares for mentally challenged adults, mostly adults suffering from downs syndrome. They should arrive Monday. I'll be a little busy Monday, but I'll try to pass that along to people at work.

Thank you!

• chena
    Original Author
    16 years ago

Merry Christmas Ya'll!

{{gwi:586929}}

• technodweeb
    16 years ago

Kylie:

Ya know that begs a question right? Are they YOURS? (grin)

• fool4flowers
    16 years ago

Cute Kitties Kylie. Dweeb sorry I misunderstood you. Mercedes is bladder issues. Thats what the Proin is for.

• technodweeb
    16 years ago

No - you didnt' misunderstand. I understood you.

Poor Mercedes - Jake's are bowel accidents. Boy I'd like to find something to stop THAT besides a CORK.

I'm gonna call tomorrow morning. See if that's something that would help him.

He's a very good boy, and he knows he has a problem. I just wish I could help him with it.

• fool4flowers
    16 years ago

Just ask the vet. I bet they have something to help him. I know what you mean. Mercedes looks down where she leaked whle laying on her pad and hung her head in shame. She is soo good about her housetraining and its like she wants to tell us. I didn't do it. I dont know how that got there. It had gotten really bad til we put her on this medication. Now as long as she takes it every day it is much better. Wash her bedding at the shop and the house every day and steam clean the carpet every weekend but as long as she is happy I don't care. I got them some nice toys for Christmas. They are going to love the squeaking ones, lol.

• linda441
    16 years ago

I spent the entire day yesterday clearing junk out of the big greenhouse and getting all my plants into bothe the big GH and the smaller one-I am still tired!! I am going to try to post a picture of Sassy taken about 6 mos ago

Here is a link that might be useful: {{gwi:586931}}

• technodweeb
    16 years ago

Squeakers! Jake can't hear that well anymore (or he pretends) - he doesn't have any interest in squeakers any more. He gets chewies.

Linda - would love to see pictures of Sassy. Hey, nice work on moving stuff out to the GH! I moved a few cuttings yesterday - that's it. Xmas shopping has taken the wind out of my sails! Very tired.