SHOP PRODUCTS
Houzz Logo Print
thinman_gw

Weekend Trivia - Saturday

thinman
15 years ago

Happy weekend, all. I am still in Seattle, presently baby-sitting my 6 year old grandson and 4 year old granddaughter with DW, while the kids parents get a well-deserved vacation in the Phoenix area. Oddly, the weather back home in Michigan has been warmer than here almost the whole time we have been gone, although the spring is definitely far advanced here - lots of daffodils and other spring bulbs, along with magnolias and assorted flowering trees. ItÂs very pretty. All of which has nothing, I say nothing, to do with todayÂs trivia question - IÂm just making conversation.

The category today is 19th century American writers. You still with me? Here is some background: Born in 1809, he lead a short life, marked by disappointments and deaths, though comforted by alcohol and opium. His big break almost came in 1843 when he was invited to give a lecture in Washington D.C. and be received at the Whitehouse. Too bad he showed up drunk and made a fool of himself. In 1845, his most famous work became a national sensation and was reprinted all over the place. Too bad there were no copyright laws then. He never got a penny from all the extra attention. He died in 1849, after an apparent five-day drinking binge. His last words were "Lord help my poor soul." (Who among us hasnÂt said that from time to time?) The poor guy never did get rich.

You might (or might not) recognize this little quote of his: All that we see or seem is but a dream within a dream.

Can you guess the writer?

ThinMan

Comments (20)

Sponsored
Ngrained Woodworks
Average rating: 5 out of 5 stars4 Reviews
Custom Woodworking, Décor, and More in Franklin County