SHOP PRODUCTS
Houzz Logo Print
bigmario_gw

Trees not drinking

bigmario
16 years ago

Hello All,

I have 4 potted trees. A satsuma and an oro blanco that are still in their original #5 pots from nursery. I purchased them only a few weeks ago. I have a Meyer that I potted in probably a too big 20" terracotta pot that I got in a #5 can about 2 mos ago. I have a bears lime that was in a 20" terracotta pot too but was not growing so I did what I have read and repotted to a smaller pot and mixed a lot of cedar chips and also pumice in with new potting soil. I also repotted the Meyer in the same big pot but used the new type of mixed soil for it as well. They are all in full sun.

One of the major growers emailed me to make sure soil is super daining and recommended the cedar shavings. It seems like the soil still wants to stay moist to wet. I am not going to pot up the oro blanco or satsuma until next spring but they don't seem to dry up to fast either. All the pots have many drain holes. I don't understand why the trees (especially the lime)are not using the water. The lime was still moist after potting down 2 weeks later. I did water just to give it some food. I have read that it is all about the soil and I have tried to do everything I have read but still seem to have wet soil. Does anyone live in the S.F. bay area that uses a comercial potting soil with good results.

Comments (6)