SHOP PRODUCTS
Houzz Logo Print
sweetannie4u

Hummingbirds come home!

Annie
15 years ago

Yesterday while I was weeding out a new rose bed, something whirred past my head. I looked up and there directly in front of me was a little juvenile Ruby Throat sitting on the wire cage I have around a pussy willow, not two feet away. He was tipping his head this way and that and looking directly at me. I said, "Well, hello there!" He ruffled his feathers and chirped at me a few times, as if to say, "We're back!!!". Then another one came whirring past my head and flying around me a few times, darted over to the other and hovered in front of him. They chirped to one another and touched beaks, lovingly, and then he flew off, circling the yard and flying back past me toward the one on the wire cage. The first one was still sitting in front of me and tipping his head this way and that, watching me. Number two hovered in front of him again and the two chirped again and this time they darted off together toward the wooded area on the north side of my property where the hummers always nest high in the oaks.

Today I bought two new feeders. I made them some syrup and hung them right where they greeted me yesterday. Tomorrow I will get out the old feeders and wash them and get them ready. If we have as many as last year, I am going to need them all out before long.

It is so exciting!

Soon, the chimney swifts will return for the summer and when they do, I will post about their return.

~Annie

Comments (18)

Sponsored