SHOP PRODUCTS
Houzz Logo Print
grumpyeld

Questions on Cactus care

grumpyeld
15 years ago

I have several questions concerning a good soil mix for cactus.

I'm new at this so please bear with me.

I'm made a mixture of peat moss, coarse sand, perlite, pea gravel and a small amount of top soil. This was recommended to me by a person that has been raising cacti for many years.

I have planted about 40 small cacti in this mixture recently. Most of these are from WallyWorld, HD, Lowes.

I'm using small clay pots, 2', 3.25".

After discovering this forum, as well as others, it seems the conscious is that peat moss isn't that good.

I have noticed that the water seems to set on the top of the mixture for awhile before it absorbs it. With the wet, rainy days we are having here, (southeast Kansas), I haven't been able to see how quickly the mix is going to dry out.

I read a post some where about using NAPA oil absorbent in place of the peat moss.

If so, what else should I mix with it?

Another question I have is, after reading the forums, is I don't think I can provide enough light inside for my plants. I live in a mobile home, and I don't believe I will be able to put them where they will be as cool as recommended to go dormant. Dark yes, cool, no.

The person that recommended the plant soil mix said if I put them in a south or west facing window that they would probably be alright.

Also, when do I stop watering them for winter?

Sorry for such a long post, but I really need help with this.

Leon

Comments (2)