SHOP PRODUCTS
Houzz Logo Print
redadmiral_gw

lemon from seed: wintering and fertilizing?

redadmiral
16 years ago

hello!

i have a lemon tree grown from seed which is somewhere between 5 and 10 years old, it's looking pretty healthy and is probably between 1.5 and 2 metres in height. previously i have always brought it indoors for the winter, but its getting a bit too big and heavy to drag in through the front door! i live in southern england, so our climate is pretty mild, though we do get frosts and occasional light snow. however, i am planning on leaving my lemon outside this coming winter, right against the house and underneath a veranda, and believe it will survive. am i right?

as it is grown from seed, i understand that it is unlikely to flower or fruit, though i have heard that giving it a winter is more likely to encourage flowering. is this correct?

finally, i've never fed it, as i don't have any citrus fertilizer. i do have tomato feed and houseplant feed, though i'm unsure whether either of these would do any good. i was wondering if there is any feed you can make from household products, or ingredients that are fairly easily available?

thanks for your help, i've loved reading this forum.

Comments (8)