SHOP PRODUCTS
Houzz Logo Print
linlily

Oranges & Lemons Gaillardia NOT true from seed

linlily
15 years ago

We've discussed some of the newer plants that members have saved seeds from and hoped to grow new plants from. I obtained seeds from a friend who grew Oranges and Lemons Gaillardia last year. It was a gorgeous plant, I saw it when it was blooming. I wintered sowed some seeds and I just now have blooms on two of the seedlings. Neither resembles the parent. One is large, robust and resembles the species Gaillardia. The other is a smaller plant, healthy, and the flowers resemble Fanfare.

This is the second time seeds from a newer plant did not come true. I bought a mixture of the newer Echinacea seeds on eBay and a friend planted them for me. They grew into large healthy plants, but the flowers had centers but little or no petals. Those that had petals that were about a quarter of an inch long were completely green - center and petals. No color at all.

I just thought I'd post this since we've been discussing saving seeds from the lastest, newest plants to see if we can grow them that way. It hasn't worked out for me.

Linda

Comments (11)