SHOP PRODUCTS
Houzz Logo Print
garen59

Black walnut tree roots in my garden

Garen Rees
12 years ago

I just recently cut down two large walnut trees in my yard. They were dropping a lot of old branches and I always wanted to build a koi pond in the location. My sister in law is deathly allergic to them and of course I want the space to plant more conifers. I was wondering if anyone has experience or knowledge with black walnut tree roots systems.

Should I kill the stump with stump killer to get a head start on killing the roots and what is the best way to do this? I made the mistake of not killing the stumps of some locust trees I cut down a few years back and I had an army of a thousand locust trees popping up all over my yard. They wouldn't stop coming! I don't think that the walnut trees will do the same, I hope.

So, I know that the roots of the black walnut tree secrete juglone that is toxic to many plants especially conifers. How long should I wait to plant next to or near the stump? Will the juglone in the soil eventually dissipate? If I wanted to do some planting this year near the stump would it be safe to make a small raised bed on top of the toxic soil to plant in?

Any help is greatly appreciated. Thanks =)

Garen

Comments (13)