SHOP PRODUCTS
Houzz Logo Print
letsgohawkeyes

How to help white pines getting too much water

LetsGoHawkeyes
12 years ago

ADVICE NEEDED: Is there anything that can be done for white pines getting too much water? Would extra fertilizer help? Could I plant other trees nearby that would drink up the moisture, like birch or something? Any other ideas? Or are they doomed to living a sickly life and/or dying young?

BACKSTORY: We purchased a home about a year and a half ago. In the back of our lot there are 7 white pines that are 10-15 feet tall and I believe were planted about 6 years ago. There are 5 in a row at the back of the lot and 2 that are just a few yards closer to our house. The 2 in the front seem to be doing very well, but the 5 just a little ways behind them are doing pretty poorly. The back 5 have very sparse, short needles that are fairly yellowed (some with brown tips). They are also planted closer to a low area on the property where water tends to drain. It's not a full on ditch but it was definitely graded for drainage when the neighborhood was put in. The 5 trees are not planted at the bottom of the low area, but they are close to it. I suspect that the trees are getting too much water.

Comments (7)