SHOP PRODUCTS
Houzz Logo Print
chena_gw

WELCOME Ya'll

chena
16 years ago

Okay!! We have so many new people..(Which is so cool) That I thought we needed somewhere to tell a little about your self...Get to know ya... SOOOOOOOO..

Who's first!!..LOL

BTW.. Welcome!!!

Chena

Comments (59)

• honeybunny2 Fox
    16 years ago

Hi, my name is Barbra, I live in Texas, I have 2 diffrent houses, so I garden in 2 diffrent zones. I got my first brug in March 2000, while in Florida, and shipped it home, since then I have bought a dark yellow one, and have been given 2 brugs, in Oct. that were left over from a plant sale( unknown colors) I just found this forum, about a month ago. I posted on the plant exchange trying to trade for a pink starburst canna, and someone from this forum asked if I had any double brugmansia to trade. I had never heard of the double, so I had to find out more, the rest is history. I am waiting delivery on my first double cuttings, I can't wait to root them. My goal is to be a professional Brugmansian like Karyn and Barry. I plan to retire in 2009, after working for USAA insurance company for 44 years, then I will have time to spend with my one true love, plants. Barbra,

• karyn1
    16 years ago

I am a total plant addict, not just brugs, though they do take up a good part of my collection. Unfortunately I have an affinity for tropical and sub-tropical plants but live in zone 7a which is the cause of a great many headaches, not to mention back aches! I'm not quite sure when I got my first brug but became interested in them from reading a description of a "beautiful but toxic tree" in some mystery novel many years ago. For the life of me I can't remember the title. Plants aren't only a hobby. My DH has been in the wholesale floral business for about 35 years and we also have a small farm as a side business. We grow mainly plants for cutting that are sold directly to the wholesale business but I was interested in gardening well before I met my husband. Now it's just easier for me to feed my obsession. lol We have 3 great kids (13, 11 & 3) and a houseful of pets. I'm an orthopedic PA by profession but took a leave of absence that is now nearing it's 8th year. Ya think that maybe I have no intentions of going back to work? lol I've allowed all my licenses to expire and haven't kept up with my CME's so I couldn't go back if I wanted to. That was my plan all along : )
    Karyn

PS: The person below me stays up until all hours of the night looking for plants on Ebay.

• Related Discussions

Jiggety Jig!!!!

Q

Comments (19)
    Yes,our sunshine is back.Kylie I am so glad things are going well,still holding your sister in our prayers,Chemo is rough but she is a trooper she will be fine,it can have effects for up to two to three years on the immune system,so she will have to be careful about people she is around.Sooo glad you are back.Missed you bunches.Hugs to you. Bonnie
    ...See More

Thanks Ya'll!!!

Q

Comments (11)
    Glad you made it home safe in this weather. Holy yappachichi its cold out there. I need to go migrate to Bob's house for the rest of winter, lol. My main water line blew up right as I was leaving to go to Austin to pick up the windows for the greenhouse with John. It looked like a geiser in the front yard. Thank god it didn't happen 10 minutes later. The whole yard and street would have been flooded. Thank god again Patties husband works for the water department and saved my behind and fixed it for me so we could leave. I got home and the water was fixed and back on. All I had to do was throw some compost in the hole he dug.It blew all the dirt out when it blew up and made a huge hole, lol. Got another surprise when I was out checking on things. Santa clause or that truck driver I gave the little tree too visited and left me more windows for the greenhouse and a brand new shelving unit for the greenhouse. I need to be nice to people for no good reason more often, lol. I was very thankful for those things. Having to drive to Georgetown tomorrow to look for more was not to my liking. Now I think I have enough to finish it. Welcome home Kylie now don't forget to come see me when you get a chance and get your pots or I can bring them to you one weekend if I can make John drive, lol. I have you a presssenttt too that came today. Whoohooo! I need to go to bed. Pain pills are kicking in,lol. Night.
    ...See More

New to GA and brought the rain for ya'll

Q

Comments (4)
    Thanks! I just walked out in my yard and my lawn is absolutely squish and soggy! It's warm now, but can get cold again very fast. The problem if you prune too much now, is that if you get a warm spell, and the pruned plants put out new growth, they can get zapped by the frost. That happened last year. We had a very warm winter. Everything leafed out early. Then we had a hard freeze on Easter Sunday (it was 25 degrees in my yard, colder than it had been all winter!) and everything was toast. And it took weeks to get any new growth back. You're a bit further south, so I'm not sure how different it is for you. For roses, some places mail year round. If not, I start receiving them in March for zone 7. But normally you can plant year round here, the ground never freezes. I have a lot of roses, and I usually start the pruning in February. I do 'top' my roses in December when they seem to have gone into dormancy. This is just to keep the from looking wild and having tall branches blow around in storms. Crepe Myrtles that have been chopped are called 'Crepe Murder'. Don't do it. Not only does it look ugly in winter, it's really not good for the trees. They don't really need to be pruned, just shaped and you can even leave on the seed heads if you want to . There are several threads on the subject if you want to search for them. Good Luck and welcome!
    ...See More

Ya'll are an inspiration -- NEW Convert

Q

Comments (42)
    Welcome, Betty in Georgia!!! I think I've seen you somewhere before *g*. I am so happy to have been a part of your conversion, and you are going to love it here (especially the OT threads, those are my favorites...we like to get friendly). OK, look up at the top of this page, there is a green bar that says Blogs, Forums, Photo Galleries, etc. Hover your mouse over "Forums" and you will see "Garden Forums" as one of the choices. Click on that and it will take you to a listing of all (and there are a LOT!) of the garden forums. Scroll down a ways on the page and, on the left side, you'll see "Georgia Gardener". Or, follow this link: Here is a link that might be useful: Georgia Gardener
    ...See More
  • technodweeb
    16 years ago

I do NOT! (grin)

• daniellalell
    16 years ago

OK my turn :)
    I'm Daniella, 31 yr old stay at home mom..am married for 11yrs. I have 3 kids; 1 boy who is 11, and 2 screamin mimi's who are 8 and 3. 2 dogs, 1 cat. I live in cold ucky zone 6b Jersey..someday I'll be somewhere warmer. I have been flower gardening for 4 yrs now? I have many notebooks filled up with info on what I have. Save every plant tag..yet not the receipts, weird I just noticed that, lol. Then again it's probably a good thing since I'd then realize how much i spent overall. Seems to be everyone thinks I am obsessed..Do I deny this..NO. Whenever I get money I spend it on plants. I know you all will agree with me that that is NOT a bad thing! (Well, it is for hubby since he has to support my addiction with his money!! *evil grin*)If I worked, this place would be a jungle! O how I'd love that!
    I just discovered brugs a few weeks ago when I just popped in here to see what the heck brugs were, lol. Love at first sight. Now I am waiting on my first babies to arrive in the mail yippeee!!!!!!
    I, like Karyn, am in total zone-denial. I have always known I was meant for a warmer climate, and I think that my love of tropical plants kinda proves that. Thats all I can think of right now, its only 7:30 am, I can't think and I have to get these kids to school..I am SOOO not a morning person.

Since Techno didn't ask a question, I'll go with Karyn's.
    Yes, I admit I have done that on a few occasions, lol. Since you came up with that question Karyn, we know you are guilty of it too!

The person below me has spent more money in the last year on plants than clothes.
    Daniella

• wildflower
    16 years ago

I havn't had enough coffee yet to write anything, but yes Daniella, that's me! Can we make that the last 10 years?I've got a lot of holey clothes I still wear, but plants are more important than new clothes.... right?

The person below me is afraid to post their pic on the "show yourself" thread.

• oxmyx
    16 years ago

Yes thats true. I refuse to show a nude picture of myself so you all can be sure it wasn't me in the embarrassing picture I inadvertently posted a while back

2nd try About me:?
    I am a Jack of all trades, from computers to carpentry to graphics, and Music. (play drums) I have never been married and would like to find someone I can share my passions with. At my late age, I have found the new neighbor is single, nice looking and into gardening. We have a date for dinner this Saturday, But I would rather Chena break it off with her hubby and come live with me :)

• oxmyx
    16 years ago

the person below me has too many pets

• bonnie12210
    16 years ago

Daniella!!Just how did you know,its true.
    The person below me is also a brug addict !!
    I am a happily married grandma,I have four beautiful grandbabies,two boys two girls,I am the mother of twin boys they are 27.I worked in the hospital for years as a CNA,I was in a boating accident about 6 years ago and almost lost my leg and would have drown had it not been for my dog,can't swim with your leg dangling,she came to where I was I put my arms around her neck she swam back to the boat so I could hold on until help got there.okay enough of that,I am thrilled to have found all you guys,my hubby just looks at me and shakes his head when I talk about my flowers,mostly the brugs,since I have them all over the house.I am also a cancer surviver,12 years yah hoo.

• chena
    Original Author
    16 years ago

LOL.. I know you are not talking about me...must be Mike..
    I am 51 and retired from the phone co. in 95 I was a lineman for 20 yrs..My husband and I have 3 children and 4 grands . We live on 65 acres in Texas and have a working ranch..My husband is in construction. I have gardened my whole life my mother is a gardener.. Up until 2 yrs ago we grew all of our own food and sold the the local farmers market ..I had to have a little work done and it has slowed me down a bit..I love Trops and sub-Trops..I have to many and that is never enough...LOL
    Chena

• hornetwife
    16 years ago

Hi all!
    I mainly hang out in the Houseplant forum but come here to lurk and learn about Brugs!
    I'm a SAHM to 3 kids: 9, 8 and 6. I am a plant ADDICT and love tropicals. Especially Plumeria and NOW Brugs! I live in TN but spend my summers at "HOME" in Corpus Christi, TX which is where my love of tropicals comes from!
    This is a VERY nice forum. Sometimes it gets a little testy over at Houseplants.
    Lori

• chena
    Original Author
    16 years ago

WELCOME Lori!!!!! Glad you decided to jump in here...I look forward to seeing you around MORE!!!
    Chena

• doggies7
    16 years ago

Hi everyone!

I was new to brugs this summer. Around the end of July a very nice lady gave me and my husband a 5ft planted brugmansia. It bloomed at the beginning of October and since then I have been hooked. I started out at the houseplant forum where I accidently found the website when trying to find out about a new plant I bought. Then when I got the brug I was so excited to find there was a forum for them also. YIPPEE!!!

I have been married for seven years to a wonderful husband who, lucky enough for me, enjoys my plants (not as much as I do but, hey, he doesn't complain about them). We do not have any children of the human kind yet, but we have numerous furry ones. We have everything from dogs to hamsters. There are too many to list! I currently do not work full time, but I am a substitute teacher. I am completing my masters degree - one class to go! YEAH! Then I will have more time for my plants...lol. My husband is hoping I will have more time for a full time teaching job...we'll see.

Like everyone else here, I love plants. I have a house full of plants (since it is too cold for them outside here...19 degrees today) as well as a yard full - my husbands office is even getting full (hehe). I got started on daylilies, then house plants, and my newest addiction of brugs. I look forward to talking to everyone about my love of plants...since my family thinks I'm nuts and doesn't understand why I like them so much. But I have to agree with Chena that I have too many but it still isn't enough!!!

doggies7

• chena
    Original Author
    16 years ago

Hey Miss Doggies! I am so glad you found your way here.. I think you will like it...WELCOME!!!!
    Chena

• bonnie12210
    16 years ago

Chena you are always so sweet,when I grow up I want to be just like you,LOL
    Bonnie

• chena
    Original Author
    16 years ago

ROFLMBAO!!! Be careful what you wish for...

• chena
    Original Author
    16 years ago

I joined a group not long ago.. I was soooo excited.. When I got there it was pretty cold..everybody was friends..BLA BLA..which kind of made you invisible.. Not being one to be able to keep my mouth shut ..LOL.. I had to say something.. It tought me a very valuble lesson....I believe them as well. BUT I don't want anyone who shows up here an posts to think that they are not acknowledged or appreciated..Everyone has something to offer and I want to here it all...And I am so blessed to meet such wonderful people.
    OKAY.. taking the soapbox back to the closet...LOL

• wildflower
    16 years ago

That was very well put Chena and I agree 100%. It's great seeing all the new people here. No matter who you are, you have something to say that will help someone here...So don't be afraid to speak up! We may be a rowdy group, but we're pretty nice most of the time.

the person below me will be the next to embarass Barry...

• maemae0312
    16 years ago

Hmmm don't know how to embarrass Barry, but don't we all need details of his date? And remember curfew is 10pm.

Lori, you and I are neighbors!

The person below me knows the names of their brugs betther than their children's names!!

Mary

• chena
    Original Author
    16 years ago

I want to keep this going... We are Blessed with new folks each day!! Come on in and tell us a little about youself and what you grow!! We LOVE pic's..LOL
    Chena

• oxmyx
    16 years ago

Barry's date went well, in fact she has contacted me, 5 time since Saturday night. Guess I am doing ok :)
    We did kiss.

• wildflower
    16 years ago

Barry, does she like brugs?

• karyn1
    16 years ago

It's nice to see all these new people. I'm glad you all have finally started posting instead of just lurking. Hey Barry, any tongue?
    Karyn

• wildflower
    16 years ago

LOL KARYN!!!!

• chena
    Original Author
    16 years ago

DISH BARRY!!!!!!
    SOOOO...We are waiting...LOL
    Chena

• oxmyx
    16 years ago

aww come on.... just the first date!
    Karyn you are nasty!

Yes she likes brugs, how could she not, she lives right across the street and had the best view of mine all summer!
    Only clash so far is, she likes Metal music.

• karyn1
    16 years ago

Do you mean metal as in 80's and 90's heavy metal, great classic metal from the 70's or orchestral music? Can you tell I'm biased. I really can't stand most of the garbage my kids listen to. OMG I sound like my parents. lol
    Karyn

• wildflower
    16 years ago

Barry, now you know we have all sorts of questions...We have to approve of her before this goes to far right?

• oxmyx
    16 years ago

having trouble posting under same title so I had to change it, anyone else have this problem?

Pam is into Godsmack, and all the other modern metal groups,
    also ACDC , Black Sabbath, etc

Not heavy metal but some head banging metal, which I and my plants can only take just so much.

• purplenana
    16 years ago

Hi, I'm new since Sept. I've had one brug for about 5 years. Three years it did nothing and then to my surprise it flowered and I was hooked. Somehow I managed to keep it alive. Thanks to many people here I now have quite a few rooting in water. I admit I do the "Oh, just stick them in some water". I use old yougart and cottage cheese containers. They are doing great. I'm a stay at home grandmother. My Mom and husband can't keep up with me so my 6yr old granddaughter is my best pal. I also love Oriental Lilies. Got some great Datura seeds I'm going to start on Valentines Day. It's cold here in Minnesota and winters are long. Someday I'll try and post a pic but it's gonna be awhile. I love reading this spot but don't get to do it everyday. Good luck with the new woman Barry! Trude

• maemae0312
    16 years ago

Welcome Trude, from on newbie to another. And Karyn those are the kind of details we all wanted but were afraid to ask :)

Thank goodness my kids aren't into all the new metal stuff. I have a Broadway nut for a kid and I think if I have to listen to the Jekyl and Hyde soundtrack again I will scream!!

Barry, glad to hear the date went well.

Mary

• fool4flowers
    16 years ago

Trude, send me some of your energy, lol. Nice to meet you. I want to thanks Chena for doing this. I have felt much more welcome on here than some of the other more formal forums. This place is fun! Barry I hope things work out with your girlfriend. Get you some earplugs, lol. You will learn to tune it out eventually my husband listens to the same CD of Hawaiian music all the time when we take trips and I play see what kind of plant I can spot at 75mph and tune it out, lol.

• rigo74
    16 years ago

Hello, I am new to the GF since October. I discovered Brugs while visiting this forum. Since then I have a few yellow cuttings that Barry has sent me, By the way Barry the cuttings are doing well - Thanks! Glad to hear that your date went well as for Godsmack, AC\DC and Black Sabbath they rule!! Sorry it's in my blood. I have 3 kids, boy 12yrs,girl 8yrs and boy 3yrs. I am a inside sale rep for a company the produces highway cure for TXDOT. I love plants and get this from my mother and father. I do remember helping them moving all the plants in for the winter as I do now for myself as well as helping them to this day each winter. I love tropical plants and crown of thorns, I have now found myself hooked to Brugs!Thank you for welcoming us newbies to the forum.
    Have A Blessed Day And Happy Gardening
    Rigo74

• happyjacq_bris
    16 years ago

hi I live in Australia in the sub tropics. I discovered a brug at a friends house and have been hooked ever since....really only a matter of weeks ago.
    My husband is a barrister and I have recently retired from intensive care nursing after 20 years....now I just lecture at a university to 3rd year nursing students.
    We have 3children boy and girl twins ...16 and 1 9y/o daughter. we have 2 poodles 1 labrador and 2 tonkinese cats.
    We recently purchased another house with huge trpoical garden.....lots of work to complete. We also have a farm 1 hour from our city of Brisbane, which we were planning on going to at the weekends. That is not working out so well as we cant find the time...only an hour away but just too busy. We have horses.6 of them....luckily we were able to employ caretakers who live on the property. So a very busy life.

• technodweeb
    16 years ago

HappyJacq:

Very busy life! Well, welcome and so glad you find the time to chime in and share your pics and your love of Brugs with us!

• karyn1
    16 years ago

I was just making an attempt at embarrassing Barry. As for Black Sabbath yes, AC\DC a little too new but still ok. Never heard of Godsmack. Rigo sounds like we have kids almost the same ages. Jacq I can imagine that it's difficult for you to find the time for the farm. Our property is only 3 miles from our house and it's hard for me to find the time to go up there. We have one full time employee who lives on the property and cares mainly for the GH. DH is completely against having any animals for the simple reason that he knows that I won't go and care for them daily and he doesn't want to get stuck doing it. lol How come brugs are so expensive in Australia? The 2 Australian online sites that I've seen had very high prices, even for common varieties.
    Karyn

• chena
    Original Author
    16 years ago

HJ and Rigo.. WELCOME.. so glad you are here..HJ you sound very busy..LOL I hope you share some photos with us..
    Rigo we are almost neighbors... aren't you north of Ridgemar...BTW I put a package in the mail for you this morning...
    Chena

• oxmyx
    16 years ago

Barry has been embarrassed enough, Karyn ;) thank you,

Perhaps I should give vivid details in full Technicolor, so yall can get embarrassed!
  • rigo74
    16 years ago

HEY! Karen & Chena.. Karen Godsmack is a heavy group but not as heavy like Metallica. My 3 yr old son's favorite song by Black Sabbath is Iron Man. I play the song for him on the radio and he likes to act like he is playing the guitar, plus he knows the words to the song.Chena we sure are neighbors and I am just north of Ridgemar. Thanks for the heads up I will keep my eyes open for the mail.. I can't wait! Oh! Must remember not to tackle the mail man...
    Happy Gardening And Have A Blessed Day

• threas
    16 years ago

PHEW!I got off the hook with answering a true or false! lol
    My name is Theresa, I am 45, married 24 yrs. in a week. I have 3 boys,20,19& 11. I work in a Flower Shop as a floral designer, right across from Swarthmore College in PA,if anybody's ever heard of it. My hubby is a Carpenter. Wants to get a boat when he retires in 6 yrs. Can you grow plants on a boat?!? We actually worked together at a greenhouse, the rest is history! This is such a great group of people.The generosity & kindness are overwhelming.Thank you for making me feel welcome. I look forward to hearing from everyone everyday!
    The person below me checks this forum at least once a day!

• chena
    Original Author
    16 years ago

JUST ONCE!!! Wow.. DH could be right.. maybe it is OCD...LOL
    Welcome Threas..
    Chena

• karyn1
    16 years ago

Theresa I thought that I got married young, you were a baby! My cousin lives on a houseboat and has an herb garden : ) Don't know how well a brug would do with sailing though. Barry I'm not sure if it's possible to embarrass me. lol Rigo that must be cute. I don't care for most of what my 13 & 11 yr old listen to, mostly hip hop, blech!
    Karyn

• pearlgirl
    16 years ago

My name is Margaret...I'm not NEW to the forum because
    I'm always lurking and reading the post which I enjoy so
    much.(especially the brug girls..Karyn and Chena :) I was
    introduced to brugs about four yrs ago when a dear man
    sent me five cuttings of a most beautiful white one. Since
    that time, I've been blessed by you kind and generous
    brug lovers with a few more cuttings. I'm obsessed and
    overwhelmed most of the time because I LOVE PLANTS! I
    must figure out a plan because I will soon run out of
    space for my brugs.

Margaret

• karyn1
    16 years ago

Margaret I'm glad to see that you are finally posting instead of just lurking : )
    Karyn

• chena
    Original Author
    16 years ago

Hey Margaret!!! I am sooooo glad you are here!! Now we could use a little more interaction...LOL If you have been growing Brugs for yrs. .. I am sure you have alot to contribute.. I know I am interested in your experinces I still have tons to learn.... Do you have pic's We.. Okay me love pic's...
    Welcome!!! BTW.. I have seen you around.. maybe at the seed side..???
    Chena

• pearlgirl
    16 years ago

Okie Dokie ladies (and gents)....bragging allowed??
    Yes?? LOL...I sure do have pics and don't know a darn
    thing about posting them. I'm going to get there, though.
    I do want you all to see some of them because I think
    I did quite well. It took me two yrs to just take the
    camera out of the package (gift from my sweetie)
    Pics coming soon...promise!
    Thanks for the welcome all!

Margaret

• sibhskylvr
    16 years ago

Margaret

Did you receive a package from the North Pole today? Santa had said you were a good little girl the entire year! :)

Mike

• pearlgirl
    16 years ago

Mike...I know for sure that I've been a GOOOOD girl!
    I'm just glad that Santa thinks so too...I'm a-looking,
    I'm thinking that my package will arrive tomorrow for
    sure.
    Margaret

• sibhskylvr
    16 years ago

Margaret

Darnit! Mail service is sooooooooooooo slowwwwwwwww this time of year! :)

Mike

• chena
    Original Author
    16 years ago

WOW!!! The Secret Santa exchange is growing fast..LOL Hope everyone has signed up... I have seen a few new folks joining in.. First of all Welcome..I look forward to seeing ya around.. I hope you will take a couple of mins. to tell us all a little about yourself, what ya grow, where ya from..
    Chena

• pearlgirl
    16 years ago

Yes, Mike...mail service is definitely soooooo slow, BUT..
    Santa was SOOOOOOOOO good to me! YES!:):):):)

Margaret