SHOP PRODUCTS
Houzz Logo Print
mn_citrus

Can Miracle-Gro Shake 'n Feed Citrus be used in containers?

mn_citrus
10 years ago

I just repotted 4 citrus trees, 2 Meyer lemons and a Calamondin from cuttings and a grafted Moro. They're all in 1.5 gallon pots since I'll need to take them inside during the winter. I used the miracle grow citrus/cactus soil with some extra pumice to make sure it was well draining.

However, when it came to buying fertilizer, since I'm in MN my local options are a bit limited. I picked up a bottle of Miracle Grow Shake 'n Feed Citrus off of Amazon, but now that it's arrived I see that you're not supposed to use it for container plants.

http://www.scotts.com/smg/goprod/miracle-gro-continuous-release-citrus-avocado-mango-plant-food/prod70322/

"While Miracle-Gro Shake N Feed Citrus Avocado and Mango Plant Food can be used on all types of plants, it is not registered for use on container plants. The nitrogen can release too quickly to be safe for the confined root system of container plants."

1) Can I just adjust the dosage and still get away with using this?

2) If not, I can just spread this on my lawn instead, but then what fertilizer should I use? Most stores in MN won't carry citrus specific fertilizer, so I'll probably need a recommendation for something I can easily mail order. I've seen some recommendations for Peters 25-5-15, but I haven't found a place to buy that around here.

Comments (12)