SHOP PRODUCTS
Houzz Logo Print
beano58

taxus stovepipe

13 years ago

Is anyone familiar with a yew named "stovepipe"? I bought the plant at a late fall plant liquidation sale. The nurseryman said he had special ordered the plant as taxus X Media "Columnaris" but when received felt that the plant was mislabeled as the plant was way too narrow and didn't match other plants of the same name from another vender. He thought the plant was actually taxusXmedia "stovepipe". I bought two of the plants that measured 5 feet tall and three inches wide for 20 bucks each with no warranty. I have now tried to learn a little about the plants and discover two different listings to a google search. One plant comes up as baccata with a zone seven designation and the other comes up media and zone four. I also see it listed sometimes as "Stovepipe" and other times as "Stove Pipe". What's up?

Thanks for the info in advance, Brian

Comments (3)

• 13 years ago

i checked the database.. its not there ...

if you want to ID it.. which is where you would start.. you would need to post some pix ... the overall plant.. the buds.. and perhaps the underside of the needles ...

the peeps here will tell you the two latin names .... and then you can go from there with the cultivar name ...

but it does not surprise me when you say you cant find any info about it .... been there.. searched that.. failed ...

if you think its unique ... and you want to share it around.. you will need to find someone to propagate it for you ..

too bad the seller couldnt tell you his source.. and you could backtrack from there ....

good luck

ken

• 13 years ago

There seems to be a fair amount of taxonomic confusion regarding this and other, very narrow columnar yews - 'Stovepipe', 'Beanpole', 'Flushing', etc. You can find any of them (and others) listed as cultivars of either T. baccata or T. x media. I'm not at all sure just going back to the original supplier will necessarily provide clarification - they are just as likely to be selling the plant in question under a dubious name as not :-)

Sources I trust tend to list 'Stovepipe' (and 'Flushing') under xmedia and 'Beanpole' under baccata. xmedia will be more cold tolerant then selections of baccata. There also seems to be debate on the ultimate width of 'Stovepipe' - various sources list its spread as anywhere from 8" to 5'!!

Since your plants were a relatively good deal (they'd sell for around $60-75 in my area) go ahead and test them out. Not all that much to lose. You'll soon determine if they are cultivars of baccata regardless of the accuracy of cultivar name :-) And they make great vertical exclamation points in the garden!

• 2 years ago

My sister has four stovepipe yews in her side yard. She planted them about 15 years ago. They are very slow growing but they do get wider with time. Her's are probably about 4 feet wide now and 10 feet high. They are very dense and the branches tend to stay close and don't droop or get misshapen with wind..

Sponsored
A.I.S. Renovations Ltd.
Average rating: 4.5 out of 5 stars15 Reviews
Custom Craftsmanship & Construction Solutions in Franklin County