SHOP PRODUCTS
Houzz Logo Print
surrealgarden

Additives to soil

surrealgarden
17 years ago

This may sound odd to you long-time gardeners, but I started doing something a bit odd a few months ago and wonder if it will help in the least- in the long run?

There is a horribly neglected strip of land maybe 2 feet wide by 20 feet, in between the house/driveway. When I moved in, it was covered with a layer of those white rounded rocks, plain, unplanted. I found it annoying.

As I started working the area, I discovered LAYERS of heavy black plastic which I pulled out in huge gobs. I dug the entire area, working in some better soils, leaving the rocks in the ground but buried, to maybe help with drainage, and adding mulch. This year I had a beautiful butterfly garden edged by dianthus and other sturdy high-sun, high-heat plants. They all grew to their maximum potential. So far, the mulch and plants along the edging have prevented weeds.

My question- I know the soil must be pretty weak after years of neglect. When I took out the plastic 2 years ago, it had a moist, sick, gray look. Instead of adding lots of chemical fertilizers, I have been tossing orange peels, potato peels, any fruit remnants, even banana peels to the area. It is right next to my kitchen door, so just as easy to toss there as into the trash. I read somewhere that banana peels make worms happy. I hope to enrich the soil naturally with all the other additives. Every week or so, I'll adjust the fall leaf-mulch to cover my "trash". I hope it all breaks down and makes better soil.

Am I just making a mess or is this a sloppy personal helpful compost heap? Sometimes I think how smart it is NOT to just throw away vegetable scraps- other times I feel like "that crazy lady down the street". Comments?

Comments (14)