SHOP PRODUCTS
Houzz Logo Print
hilary_hanlen

Rat-Tail Cactus: dying of stress after a car crash?

hilary_hanlen
16 years ago

I have a cactus that is very dear to me and it is about to die. This cactus

was a wild desert cactus my brother dug up for me four years ago or so in

Southern Arizona...I think it is a rat-tail cactus. A couple of bad things

have happened to it since I've had it...last summer I left it under a skylight

for a week and it got kind of cooked and dried-up in parts, but I managed to

save it just by cutting the cooked parts. Then a few weeks ago it got left

outside in a crazy rainstorm in New Hampshire, but I repotted it the very next

morning and it actually seemed to be healthier than before. All along it has

been a fairly healthy plant. But the thing that has made it so sick is more

unusual...

Last saturday I was in a car wreck on the highway, and my cactus was on the

passenger seat next to me. When my car got hit, the catus (which is made up of many small worm-shaped bits that grow from each other) flew out of its pot. I think the pot must have landed on it or something, I can't remember. I did manage to gather up all the cactus bits, which had sort of come apart, and put them in the pot, and then I repotted it when I got home that night. But now it is doing very poorly! Some parts are droopy and limp, and some parts have that cooked look to them...very thin and dry on the ends. Some parts look yellow. I gave it a little bit of water on saturday night and a little bit yesterday, but it seems to be both over- and under-watered at once. The only explanation I can come up with for why it looks so bad is that it got a terrible shock in the car wreck and cannot recover from this trauma.

I know this e-mail is very long but I am awfully worried about my poor cactus

which I am so attached to. It came from a commune where my grandmother and two aunts live, so it is like a relative or something. I can send photos to show what it looks like and what is messed up about it. Anyway, if you can't answer this question, could you please forward this to somebody who can?

thanks so much

Hilary

Comments (16)