SHOP PRODUCTS
Houzz Logo Print
ic_conifers

Question about support of J. scopulorum 'Tolleson's Blue Weeping'

ic_conifers
16 years ago

I purchased a J. scopulorum 'Tolleson's Blue Weeping' at the end of summer in 2007 from a local nursery. It was originally listed at $250 but by the time I found it there was a branch broken and it was leaning over a fence in the back of the nursery. They let me have it for $50 without a guarantee. It was about 12' tall with a 3" wide trunk and other than some minor damage it seemed to have suffered no shock when planted. It was tied to a cedar stake, which I (carefully) sawed off at ground level as I could not otherwise remove it and didn't want to further damage the tree. I had two stakes supporting the tree until about November 2007, when I removed them as the tree seemed to be doing fine without them.

Ice storm #1 - early December 2007 - I wake up to find tree has fallen over and is frozen to the ground. I waited about a week for a thaw, then put a stake on one side.

Ice storm #2 - January 2008 - Tree falls over again, this time the other way. I waited a few days and put another stake on the other side again.

The tree is now staked on two sides and really has nowhere to fall. It appears to be doing fine and didn't break anything in the "flopping-overs."

How long should I leave it staked now? I'm thinking a year? It was in a small container, relative to its size, but had what looked to be a well developed root system when I planted it. I can't seem to find much information on what to do when your tree falls over (multiple times) but seems alive and fine. Any advice from the pros?

Thanks,

Elizabeth

Comment (1)