SHOP PRODUCTS
Houzz Logo Print
creekgirl_gw

Can I, Should I, Do This Now?

creekgirl
18 years ago

Looking around the garden area today I decided I wanted to put my lantanas where my daylilies are planted & the daylilies where the lantanas are planted as I think they would both benefit from a swapout.

I live outside of Charleston, SC & our weather is still nice enough to be out & I have loads of energy to do this but should I? Would it hurt either of these plants to be moved now?

Any info much appreciated.......Creekgirl

Comments (6)

• lavendargrrl
    18 years ago

Not too sure about your zone, but here in zone 7b I wouldn't be moving lantana at this time of the year. What's been recommended to me from others on the forum is to wait until spring, as I have some lantana that I want to move also. I've heard that you shouldn't even cut back your lantana until the spring.

~Angie

• redhead
    18 years ago

I don't think I'd move daylilies now either -- evergreen varieties might do ok; I wouldn't attempt moving semi-evergreens or dormant varieties this late.

• trianglejohn
    18 years ago

Can you - YES, Should you - MAYBE - I've done it in worse weather out of necessity and had no problem. But it isn't the best time of year for the lantana. As long as you have a few weeks of mild weather you can safely dig up, move or divide most of the other perennials. You might have to baby them the rest of the winter if the temps get harsh. I've broken every rule about lantana and it still survived and bloomed just fine. And as I have stated before, I have never seen a hollow stem on a lantana plant so I don't know where that notion came from but it sure is a popular myth - kinda like poinsettias being poisonous (they aren't).

• gurley157fs
    18 years ago

I would wait till spring. I normally plant all of my shrubs and trees in the fall and winter and all others in spring.

I planted my new daylily bed very late this spring and it did exceptionally well. I did have to baby it a bit but was happy with the results.

• The Citrus Guy
    18 years ago

Hey Creekgirl,
    Darren here, remember me? Anyway, I work for a wholesale nursery....you would be surprised at the amount of Landscapers STILL putting in Lantana even at this late date..Dec. 7th at this posting. Matter of fact, I delivered 20 one gallon "New Gold" Lantana just this morning. I don't forsee any problems in swapping.
    Darren

• creekgirl
    Original Author
    18 years ago

Hi All.....& thanks for the info. I think what I will do is swap out some of the smaller lantanas/daylilies & hopefully they will make it. If not there are places to buy replacements come spring.

Darren.....your info has made me want to grab my shovel & get out there a.s.a.p.

Thanks again.....Creekgirl