SHOP PRODUCTS
Houzz Logo Print
keaustin_gw

Taming kudzu/clearing land

keaustin
18 years ago

OK garden buddies, it happened! The 1/2 acre lot next door was put on the market and we bought it. It sat empty for 9 years. It is covered with kudzu which has killed the pines and they are leaning toward the house. I have spent the last year in the house keeping it off MY fence, with multiple applications of Round-Up brush killer, which only offends the kudzu. Now, I will be able to get to the whole place and "make it mine" and wage serious war on the kudzu. I think I will be able to salvage the hard woods and some of the head-high pines and native brush.

Ok, here is where I need help. If I had the money, I would hire a track hoe to come in and do some leveling and push down the dead trees and pull down the kudzu, push it into a pile and burn it. But, I had to use 100% of my available money to buy the lot and I tend to lean toward wildlife friendly gardening..... All work will have to be done by me and hubbie, by hand. At most, I may be able to hire a guy to put the dead pines on the ground. I can handle the medium to light chainsaw work.

Sure, I have cleared land before, but, I was a few years younger. In the past year, I have even beat back the kudzu 10-15 feet from the fence, one cut at a time, taking about an hour to clear 10 feet.

Does anyone have any thoughts, experiences, words of wisdom, insight... Surely someone in the SOUTH has done this before?

I am thinking that if I can get most of it cleared and make the land "mowable", I will be able to keep the kudzu at bay using an old lawn mower as I begin to garden in small pieces.

What about a weedeater with a blade? Is it worth the cost? I have an older Stihl Chain saw from my ex, and, although I have used it on several occasions, it is really heavy and beyond me. I am thinking about spendning the money on a smaller Stihl or Husquavarna. My hubbie is from Fl and has NO experience with a chain saw and I don't want him to try to use the big one.

Comments (15)