SHOP PRODUCTS
Houzz Logo Print
bkrownd_gw

new to citrus planting

bkrownd
9 years ago

Howdy - I've been browsing this forum off and on this month. I've noticed that most people here have citrus trees in containers, but mine are in the yard.

We moved into a new house with a yard full of gravel and rock, and I've undertaken a "reforestation" campaign. One of the features is a line of citrus trees along one side, since they do well with minimal attention here in east hawaii.

I just put in tahitian lime, kaffir lime, yuzu, kumquat, and tangerine. In the middle of the row is an established 10 foot tree that pumps out fairly large spherical orangish sour tasting fruit which we can't yet decide whether they're lemons or oranges or a cross?

I have a fairly bad history with potted plants, and no experience gardening. (I have planted hundreds of trees and plants though, in the wilderness) The tahitian lime has a bad infestation of scale, which I discovered after noticing a horde of small ants on it. The kaffir lime appears to have miners in a couple leaves. I sprayed all the new plantings with neem oil solution yesterday evening, which I hope is a good start. Then it rained much of the night, so I might need to spray them all again?

I need to come up with a simple routine for caring for the trees that keeps the bugs from taking over. I'm thinking of spritzing them with the neem regularly, and it sounds like a drop of the right kind of soap might help? Do I need to worry about soap building up in the soil?

If the first set of trees seem to do OK I'll be plant a few more yuzu and kaffir lime.

brooks

Comments (12)

Sponsored
Buckeye Basements, Inc.
Average rating: 5 out of 5 stars31 Reviews
Central Ohio's Basement Finishing ExpertsBest Of Houzz '13-'21